Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NoWheretoTurn38 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 08:49 AM
    3 Years of Misery
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a 38 year old mother of 4 children. I have been married for 15 years. Not even sure how this came about, but about 5 years ago I started playing lottery scratch tickets. It was all fun and games at first, but a year later I was heavily into playing them. I became addicted. Blew a ton of our money, but always seemed to keep it covered. However, 3 years ago the real nightmare unfolded. I was caught in a lie that unfolded my addiction by my husband. He was devastated. He couldn't believe that the only woman in the world that he felt he could ever trust had done this to him. Things were really bad for a while. He said he was leaving but stayed for the sake of the children. I have gone to GA but he refused to get any counseling . Over the past 3 years , there were many things catching up as far as collection agencies and old bills that I had screwed up. I have tried to pay things back or I should say , clear up some bills with my "weekly allowance" he gives me. I did not tell him I was doing this not to open up a can of worms and not put any more stress on him. It made me feel better in doing this, but in the end, he found a letter from the collection agency and all hell broke lose again. I am well over my addiction and trying to put it past me, raise 4 children , take care of a home , and deal with the constant mood swings I endure when he comes home from work. I'm constantly standing on eggshells. We speak for a week and then something comes up from 3 years ago regarding my addiction, usually a bill, and then don't speak for 2 weeks. I , in my heart know he is only here for the sake of our children. He can be very mean to me, never was he physical. He is truly a good man, my heart breaks and I have a million regrets for doing what I have done, but I can't change it I know. He has said many a times he wishes he could just forget, but every day it comes to mind. I'm at a point where I have no idea what I could do. I love him more than he believes. He took what I have done to him personally. Does anyone have any suggestions. He will not go to counseling. He;s a stubborn italian. Please help me
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Oct 17, 2008, 10:42 PM

Then you go to counseling you have to do soemthing for yourself. Go get help and they will help you with your husband. An addiction is always live and well living in us as time goes by if we choose not to feed it we for get to feed it and it doesn't become part of our lives any more, but if you feed it just once even a little nibble its wide a waks and ready to go to work on destoying our lives and our familys so id also advise you to find a gambling anonymous classes they will help you so much. I attend aa its life saving... You can't change another person just yourself and when he see;s changes in you he himself might want to make some changes on his own its like you learn from exsample..

Best of luck to you,

Take care
    Michelle
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 12:24 AM

Tell your big strong Italian man how grateful you are that he's staying by your side. Tell him you need him to protect you from the things that would hurt you, you need him and love him.

Then tell him one of the things you need him to protect you from is his own anger. Since you two love each other and need each other, you completely need his protection from his own fretful and moping ways because you can't survive without his continued strength.

He is your rock. Thank him again. Then make him some tiramisu.
    mikedem7 Posts: 104, Reputation: 13

Oct 18, 2008, 03:10 AM

How about trying to get a job at home or any kind of income to offset the problem. Give it a shot. Let me know what happens.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 09:43 AM

You have been given some great suggestions, and I can only add, be patient, as it took a while to get where you were, and will take a while to move ahead. His healing may take longer. Why quit now??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mine was a love marriage, but my in laws hv made my life miserable [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I married the love of my life, with our parents consent, did see tat no one in my hubby's family liked me. Well, I am good luking, educated and sweet, hwever, my hubby's mom and siblings nvr approved of anything I did, whether be it me working or any household chores. THere has...

Miserable in my marriage! [ 10 Answers ]

Ive been with my husband since 1988. He had just got a divorce from a wife of 15 years and I had just ended a relationship of 3 years. I feel he still loves his ex-wife. I have asked him and he says no!! But when he is around her she sits in a corner and stares!! At him. Problem is, he is staring...

20 years old, pregnant, married, and miserable. [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my husband have been together for about two years. I'm 20 and my husband is 23. My husband has always been somewhat financially irresponsible, hot tempered, and needy. I was always able to deal with these things despite what my friends say, because I love him dearly and I've always been a...

31 years of marriage [ 3 Answers ]

Just had a comment about my 31 year marriage,, I've managed to to talk to my husband a couple of times,and both times,he's always called me "hon",, what's with that? Can someone answer that?

After 25 years of marriage, now what? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I'm looking into getting a divorce. After 25 years of marriage, we have lost the property and other assets we had due to business investment. The only thing left now (in form of assets) is a humanitarium grant that was awarded to my spouse for millions of dollars that has not been funded yet....

View more questions Search