Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jingi1234 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2006, 08:30 AM
    US Treasury Check for refund of overpaid taxes
    Hi ,
    I have received a US treasury check stating I over paid the taxes in 2005 and IRS is returning the money.
    The problem is the amount of the check I received is close to 50% of the my pay for entire year. I never over paid the taxes.

I did my taxes for 2005 in March 2006 and I got my refunds. I talked to US treasury, IRS and... every one says it is legitimate check and I must deposit in the BANK.

Can some one please suggest me what to do? I don't want to return the money unless they ask me.

Thanks,
    Jingi
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2006, 08:42 AM
    Did they not also send to tell you an explanation of how you overpaid - so you can verify it?

Being that much, I too would be leery of spending it for fear of them coming back to say they made a mistake... so would definitely push for an explanation.

In the meantime I'd definitely put it in the bank to at least draw some interest.

Jun 1, 2006, 08:45 AM
    That is what I was thinking.

I called all over US treasury, forgery, IRS and... I got nothing. I got no letter with this (I got only US treasury check)

I was thinking put in the bank and earn interest (Don't spend!! ) and if IRS comes and asks... give them back...

Sounds good right?
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Yes, sounds good... but when you got IRS on the phone and asked what/where the error was, what did they say? Was it just "we don't have that infomation"?

If that's the case, don't let it rest at that. Ask them how to go about finding out.

Not being sure what number you called for the IRS, try this one: 1-800-829-1040

Surprisingly, I called in March half thinking I'd never get a human on the line - or wait on hold for hours, but I got a human promptly and they faxed me my tax return within minutes. I was pretty amazed.

... If you don't get an answer, keep pushing: "ok, then who do I talk to to get the answer?"
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2006, 06:15 AM
    All advice given is accurate. I have nothing to add.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 4, 2006, 06:41 AM
    I would say what I would do in your case, not legal advice, just opiinion,

I would deposit it in a savings account and not spend it for several years just in case. Most obvious it is an error, and most likely they will want the money back, But often not cashing the check can also cause issues if they decide latter you owe the money, you have to prove you did not cash the check, It would be easier to merely write them a check for the money back.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2006, 08:40 PM
    I agree with Fr Chuck. You have made a good faith effort to notify the government that the check was issued in error.

Just save the money and collect the interest.

Jun 9, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Thanks for all the advise. I had deposited the money and put it under high yield saving account.

I wrote a letter to IRS (notarized -> I kept a copy too) notifying the issue. If they come back to me I will simply write the check back.

My only concern is if IRS asks me any interest at their owing rate (around 7%?). I mean if we don't pay taxes before dead line and don't take extension IRS starts charging interest for the money that we owe to IRS.

That is the biggest problem.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
    Jingi
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2006, 07:01 AM
    The IRS does not care much about good faith efforts... that's why I think you should be quite insistent on them showing you where the overpayment error was.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 9, 2006, 10:36 PM
    If you made a good faith effort and can prove (which you can with the certified letter) that you tried to notify them of the error, by law they cannot charge you interest if they later decide you need to pay the money back.

Keep trying to get to the bottom of the problem, but do not make it your life's mission.

Aug 15, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Just to let you know guys -- Its been almost 3 months and IRS didn't come back to me with any answer. And the money that I had received is earning interest... so far so good.

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 15, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Just hang loose. The statute of limitations for them asking for the money back is three years.

Jan 25, 2010, 06:10 PM
    Guys... I deposited the check and earned $1400.00 interest in 18 months and they came back asking that money with interest.

Obvisously I told them that I can't give the interest as I made my effort to return this. They took the principle in one check and story ended...

Thanks,
    Jingi
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the update!
    lucasafoliveira Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 07:44 PM
    I have the same problem and I'm kind of confused. That's why I've looking for answers on internet including official websites but I don't know what to do. In my case my accountant did all the forms and sent them. But some weeks later he told me that I was supposed to receive less than the first figure due to a review on my docs. I got the check some days ago with the first amount, I mean, the one which the accountant said is a little over. I don't know if the guy who provided the service doesn't know too much about legal terms or he's right and I really need to return part of the check. I have no idea if government will ask me the money back and if, what's the real or estimated interesting that I need to pay.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 09:13 AM
    The fact that you got a bit more than the original figure is due to the interest paid by the IRS on the refund.

Now, if the refund amount is NOT correct, you need to amend the return using Form 1040X. When you file the amended return and send a check for the difference between the first refund and the correct refund, the IRS will charge you interest (and possibly a penalty) on the difference. You can ask that the penalty be waived, but the interest is required by law.

Unless the IRS waives the interest (which happens sometimes if the interest due in real low), they will bill you for it.
    jgault Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 06:32 AM
    I also received one of these 'mystery checks'. I am going to deposit to savings and hope to fly under the radar. Considering who's president, this is could be a scam. All you folks that were giddy for 'HOPE & CHANGE', well, I hope you've changed.
    jgault Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 06:44 AM
    I also received one of these 'mystery checks'. I deposited it in a savings account and will not spend it until that 'hopey changey' guy goes home to gangster land. "I swear that I will never live for the sake of another man nor ask another man to live for mine."
    Jgalt
    lucasafoliveira Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 08:03 AM
    guys, in my case I didn't receive a check which had a "mistery" value like if I had won the lottery. Like I said the accountant did all the forms and sent them. I was supposed to receive X dollars and I got it by check. Then the accountant made a review and said "i'm not sure about it. i think i did something wrong". So that's my question... maybe the check is right because they sent like I was supposed to receive. Maybe the accountant made a mistake. I don't know.
    bobbiann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2013, 05:00 PM
    I received a US Treasury check. On the check is states it an over tax refund. It also says San Francisco, CA, I live in Pennsylvania and have never been to CA.

No further explanation was sent. What should I do with this check? I don't want to cash it only to find out I have to send it back. I am unemployed and could use the money, but I want to do the right thing and I want to know whiy they sent it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refund of SS and Medicare taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Expert, My SS and medicare taxes were withheld by my employee while I was doing optional practical training and my status was non-resident alien from Jan 1 2005 - Sep 30 2005. From Oct 1 onwards my visa status changed to H1B. That means I should be asking for refund of those withheld...

Overpaid my tax [ 1 Answers ]

I filed my tax return for this year and it turns out that I owe some amount and that I paid way too much than what was required. I figured out that I require 1040x Form to make any amendments. Are there any other forms for making amendments ? Deadline for tax returns is April 15th so can I...

Non-resident: refund of taxes withheld on W2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm here becaues I'm in need for help about my tax return for 2004 since I find myself in a strange situation. I'm an Italian living in Italy but I've been working during all of 2004 for a US company (telecommuting from Italy) that now issued me a W2 with all the wages that I earned...

Overpaid taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I just discovered a major mistake in my year 2000 US federal tax. As a consequence I overpaid my year 2004 tax (quite a lot of money). Is there anyway I can get my money back or is it too late.

View more questions Search