Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nlln0001 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2006, 04:03 AM
    Received Money From Person Who Went Bankrupt
    Hi everyone

A friend of mine lend CAD $30,000 to a friend. (no legal proof for lending), recently the guy who borrowed the money from my friend sold his house and called my friend and handed a bank draft worth of CAD $ 70,000 which is from his lawyer trust (after all mortgages and rest of the liens paid - the real networh of the house) asked him to deposit in my friend account ( Draft was taken in my friend name) take his 30k from it and give the rest back. He deposited cashed and gave the rest of 40k in cash by small amounts whenever he requested) .
    Less than three months afterward the guy (borrower- who sold the house) declared bankruptcy.
    The problem is now, My friend received a letter from the trustee to pay back all 70k back to the trustee .

What he can do now, and what is my friends legal right here? Could they come after him and sue him ,if he don't pay that?

Please repond
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Your friend needs to contact an attorney, the law regarding bankruptcy have changed. He may pay to repay.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Since you said $70,000 CAD, I take it that this is in Canada.

There is something called the 2 year rule. Basically, if someone gives away his assets within 2 years before declaring bankruptcy, then the courts can order a reversal. That is, on extraordinary stuff.

You might be able to keep $30,000 of it, but pay back $40,000. You might have to give back the $30,000.

Talk with a lawyer.

Odds are you lawyer will negotiate for you and you will come to a settlement which you only give back X amount of the $30,000.

Talk with a lawyer.

But, you might be able to keep the entire $30,000.

Get a GOOD lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Artificial person vs. Natural person? [ 9 Answers ]

How would the court deal with a natural person vs, artificial person? By definition a artificial person is a corporation (strawman) which the court would have jurisdication. How does the court deal with a natural person, a human being? How does the court obtain jurisdication over a human being? ...

Inheritance while bankrupt [ 2 Answers ]

I was declared bankrupt on 11 may 2006. My aunt has just died and left me her estate. Is there any way in which I can avoid handing over to my agent? Thank you

Jpg sent that received [ 3 Answers ]

I'm rec. that from someone who is sending it as a jpg. Using , 2000 pro,outlook not express :confused:

Mobile home company bankrupt [ 2 Answers ]

6 years ago my son bought a new mobile home. 3 years ago they noticed water in the wall and on the floor. They tried to file a claim with their insurance company, but was turned down, said it was company's faulty building. Tried to get the company to fix it. Was told company had gone bankrupt. IS...

View more questions Search