Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    human09fishie Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 03:19 PM
    gravitaitonal forces
    What is the distance from the Earth's center to a point outside the Earth where the gravitational acceleration due to the Earth is 1/14 of its value at the Earth's surface?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 07:41 AM

Remmeber that gravity forces are inversely proportional to the distance to the object's center of gravity squared. That is:

If you call the radius of the earth R, then the gravity at the earth's surface (where r=R) is 1/R^2. So you're interested in finding the value of r such that :

Can you take it from here?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Oct 18, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Hello human09fishie

Have a look here for all data and explanation needed to calculate the distance - LINK

Success !

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it possible that there are negative forces [ 22 Answers ]

Out there that may preventing others from wanting to know God? What I mean by that is, could it be possible that "evil" does not wish all to know God and so penetrates and swirls around and gives God and religion a very bad name? That the negative forces dress up as God fearing people but...

Types of Forces [ 3 Answers ]

What is the different Forces ib Physics?

Contact forces [ 1 Answers ]

What is parallel forces?

Pairs of forces [ 4 Answers ]

I do not understand this. Newtons 3rd Law claims every force is met with another opposite and equal force. Why then when I punched a spackle wall it breaks?

Other Forces [ 2 Answers ]

Question: Besides its weight, a 2.70 kg object is subjected to one other constant force. The object starts from rest and in 1.20 s experiences a displacement of (4.20 - 3.30) m, where the direction of is the upward vertical direction. Determine the other force. Where do I begin??

View more questions Search