Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbara3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Is Antibiotic Therary Needed
    My husband was admitted in the hospital for complained of left leg weakness. The CT head result showed abscess vs. lesion. He was discharged the following afternoon since they said that his symptom did not progress and the neurosurgeon is going on vacation for a week. One to two hours after discharged, my husband complained of excruciating pain to the back of his head and a fever of 102.7 and severe weakness to his left side, and very restless. He was brought to ER by EMT. Few minutes after arriving to ED, he was showing facial droop and slurred speech and his fever continued to be high. Cooling blanket was used and a steriod was given. No antibiotic therapy. His WBC showed elevated the next day from 14 to 24. It seems that there was a definite progression of his abscess and antibiotic should have been statarted. He was transferred to another facility and immediately received massive antibiotics. Biopsy of his brain confirmed it was an abscess. He lost the whole function of his left side. My question is that is it a neglect to treat and a Medical Malpractice? Please advice.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Was the hospital he was originally at a rural hospital? The symptoms you describe here speak of Bell's Palsy, which does not require antibiotics. In some rural hospitals certain tests are not available, this is the reason for transfers.

Unless there is permanent damage, a medical malpractice case is impossible to prove and extremely expensive. Most attorneys these days will not even take a med-mal case unless there is permanent damage.

What was the outcome? What was his diagnosis?
    barbara3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 11:37 PM

Originally, he was on a Level II trauma hospital. I requested the transfer because of my dissatisfaction of the type of care he received. After the brain biopsy, it was confirmed that it was a brain abscess and most likely caused from the dental work he had done five days prior to getting sick. All of the ultrasound, CT scan and test done in his liver, lung, heart, abdomen was negative for any abscess or infection. He is getting better but requires a cane to ambulate, his left arm remains very weak with minimal mobility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it bad to use antibiotic ointment? [ 12 Answers ]

I am using antibiotic ointment on my face due to breakout:confused: because my skin type is sensitive, so it breakout very easily:o . When I use antibiotic ointment my skin does not break out:p but I don't know whether I have to keep use it or not.

Side effects of antibiotic [ 3 Answers ]

Hi good day to all! My problem is about my 20 months old child.. At the age of 3 weeks old my baby undergone an operation. He was diagnose having a pyloric stenosis. At the age of 12 months old, he has skin allergies. So, the doctor prescribed him an antibiotic then the allergies was gone. But...

What is this antibiotic [ 8 Answers ]

Four years ago I had a difficult extraction of a molar. I was given an antibiotic and had an adverse reaction. I had the name written down and stored in my medicine cabinet. I have moved recently and the paper was lost. I need the name of that medicine. I remember that it was an antibiotic I had...

Medication for Candida after antibiotic treatment [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Recently my daughter (6) had strep throat. Shortly after, my son (3), my husband, and I all had strep throat and the whole family was on antibiotics. My son was the first one to show signs of oral yeast. The Dr. prescribed him Nistatin swish and swallow. Although it helped, it did not cure...

Can't think of the name of the antibiotic [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with the kind of antibiotic that is a pink pill and while you are taking it you are not supposed to eat any dairy products or get direct sunlight?

View more questions Search