Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbara3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Is it HIPAA Violations?
    My husband was admitted in the hospital on a Tuesday and was transferred to another facility on Thursday at 3pm. Our family friend who worked nights shift (7pm-6am) in the same facility opened my husband profile in the computer on Thursday night and was able to get all the medical information she wanted. The following day, she informed my sister about his abnormal lab results. My sister asked her how she got a hold of the informations since my husband was no longer a patient in that facility. She proudly stated to my sister that she got her ways of finding it. I was so furious. It's been 3 months and I am still very upset that the facility did not locked the information in their system after few hours the patient got discharged. I am very sure this is HIPAA violation. Only employees who has the sign on code able to go to the system. Now, my question is, if I make a big deal over this, and hire a lawyer, is there a case? I also worked in the same facility but plan to resign in the next month. Should I wait to make a complain? Our family friend worked in the Laboratory. She is not involved with direct patient care.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2008, 01:53 PM

Yes, she may have had permission to look at it. But did not have permission to tell anyone that did not have permission to see it. If the sister was on an approved list to receive info then it may not be.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Yes, this is a HIPAA violation. However, there is little you can recover monitarily unless it caused permanent damage to your husband.

As a nurse, I have access to the records of EVERY patient in my hospital, even though I work in Labor & Delivery, I can access the records of everyone who is on the campus and even those who have not been there for years. However, it is against HIPAA for me to look up info on any patient that I am not directly involved with their care.

I would suggest you go to the HR department about this infraction. While there really is nothing you can collect, at least this person will be reprimanded and possibly placed on suspension.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violations [ 2 Answers ]

A nurse I work with/supervise, called a family member to let them know she was being sent to the hospital. The family member asked, "who is being sent to the hospital?" and she told her the resident's name. The family member then stated, that is not my mother's name. The nurse then apologized to...

HIPAA Violations [ 1 Answers ]

An owner of a housing oppurtunity is also a peditrician. He went into medical records to determine who would be the best tenant for his property. He was not a doctor for me or my unborn child nor did he have permission to access my medical records. Is this a violation of HIPAA?

Hipaa Violations [ 1 Answers ]

How do I report a Hipaa violation?

HIPAA violations [ 15 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of the...

Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The owner/boss of the company I was working for asked me question concering my doctors appointment. She got angry and basically demanded me to tell whether it was for medical research because she had heard it through the grapevine. I lied and told her it was not for that. She demanded me to tell...

View more questions Search