Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanc1430 Posts: 106, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 10:21 PM
    Yes that is who I meant.
    I'm sure there is going to be other questions and I wouldn't want any other but you two.
    Thanks
    Nanc
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 04:53 AM

Thanks, nanc1430!

We're always glad to help! We're also looking forward to the other questions that you might post!

It probably would be a good idea for you to post them in one of the business forums though, since spreading things out among different topic areas can get kind of confusing if you're looking for help from certain individuals.

For instance, I don't normally come to Other Money & Services except to try to find orphaned posts about things that really should be in the Collectibles topic area.

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Sorry, I didn't know and was new at this site.
    I'm still trying to work my way around it but will learn it.
    I didn't realize it was causing you two more work. If I had known in the beginning, I would have changed it for you.
    Talk to you later.
    Thanks
    Nanc

Nov 17, 2008, 11:22 PM
    Trying to get my name out
    Hi Clough and Stringer,
    Have been really busy but I guess that's good.
    I just put up a website for now and thought it would be better to have one than not.
    It really needs some tweeking but at least it's there.
    I need some help Clough, I still can't seem to find it when I do a search.
    I know it's there because the people have been responding to it, but can't seem to find it myself when I look.
    Can I get some help with it?
    Thanks
    Nanc
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 05:36 AM

Hi, nanc1430!

Oh, my goodness! I just happened to come across your post because of going through the pages of this site and answering questions at random from different forums. If I hadn't have been doing that, I probably wouldn't have seen your question for a number of days because I rarely go over to Other Money & Services except to find orphaned questions about collectible coins and currency that really belong in the Collectibles forum.

I think that I've mentioned something about that to you previously and recommended that you post in one of the business areas like Business Plans, Home-Based Business and Small Business. Stringer and I are in those forums a lot.

Concerning your question, do you know where your website is and how do you know that others have been responding to it, please? Have you been getting emails that indicate people have been responding?

That's great that people have been responding to it!!

I'll let Stringer know about your post. I'm also going to request that this thread be moved to Business Plans because that's really more of what it's about.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 05:46 AM
    I'm not really meaning to brag here, but just wanted to show you the power of advertising on the Internet! Below, is a screen capture of a Google search for people to find me by accident for what I do because of looking for anything about Thanksgiving or Christmas around where I'm located. I've had people who've found me by accident when they've done searches in the past and decided to use my services.

My ad was first in the search on the first page of the search! It all depends on how a person words the ads! :)

Name:  Quad Cities Thanksgiving and Christmas - Posted Five Minutes Ago - Use.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  188.7 KB
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 05:54 AM

Now, for me, I'm wanting people to find me accidentally so that they might hire me to tune their piano and/or play piano and/or lead a sing-a-long for a party or other type of gathering that's holiday related. The ad is worded in such a way also to remind people to get their pianos tuned so that their holiday gatherings when using the piano will be much more enjoyable because they've had their piano tuned.

Concerning your type of business, you could cleverly word ads and also things on your website to draw people to the ads and/or your website so that people will be reminded that "Oh yeah, it really would be good to have some extra help to get ready for my party!"

Capiche?

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Thank you Clough, I think I got most of your idea but still trying to find the procedure for getting your name up in the first two pages.

As far as the people finding my cleaning ads, they called me because of one particular advertisement only and told me that they saw my other ads also and then decided to call.
    They haven't called yet as to my website.

It's not professional yet but will have to work on it. I did however do something in it that wasn't professional but I think it makes me stand out from the others and don't know as yet weather it's a good idea or bad one. Don't know what to do about this.
    Will be going on the other site from now on to contact you.
    Thanks
    nanc1430

Nov 23, 2008, 08:53 PM
    What section should I go to find out mark up or profit margin?
    I am doing commercial / residential cleaning and would like to get about $30.00 an hour to clean. How would I find out what to charge to get a profit and not be too costly to the client? Also how would I charge if I had a helper to get finished sooner?
    Need help charging the right amount and still make a profit.
    Thanks
    nanc1430
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 09:38 PM

Well first of course som may consder 30 dollars a hour too much to start.

But first you have taxes to pay, this will be from 30 to 35 percent. Just to start with,

Are you going to be paying liability insurance, if so, you have to figure that into your cost.

Transportaton costs? Gas, car or truck or van repair, that costs need to be figured,

You are going to be self employed, so are you going to want to have health insurance, that cost has to be figured in.

Are you supplying cleaning equipment ? Or cleaning supplies, that cost has to be added in.

What you have to do, is list every cost you estimate on these jobs, figure an overhead percentage perhaps to work into a forumal

On extra help, remember if they are a employee you have Social tax you have to pay on them, have to pay unemployment taxes and normally provides them workers comp insurance.

Nov 24, 2008, 08:42 AM
    I'm sorry Chuck, I didn't tell you all the details.
    The 30.00 was a typo. It was 25.00 an hour.
    I am getting all my help right now as I just started from the temp agency's.
    They pay everything.
    I am also signed up with the temp agency for myself as they pay all. The taxes, insurances, bonding and what ever else has to be paid.
    Once I get established, I will still be going through a payroll company to do my payrolls but will be paying everything else myself.
    I just wanted an idea of what is usual and customary to increase the price so I will be making something on it plus getting my hourly wage without charging too much to the people.
    Is there a formula I can use to go on right now?
    I know 25.00 an hour but how much extra do I charge to make anything for the company?
    Most of my pay is going there also right now but would like some info on it as to how to charge.
    i.e. 25.00x6hrsx? =
    (That's 25.00 per hour times say 6 hours plus what would be the total?)
    I think I explained myself but if it's not clear, please let me know.
    I appreciate all the information I can get.
    Thank you very much
    nanc1430
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 08:46 AM

Well, I the company I work for has a maid service, and they don't have to clean that much here, but they clean once a week for about 20 minutes and they charge us 107 dollars for the week. So, we pay it and don't complain. I hope that helps somewhat!

Jan 5, 2009, 09:32 PM
    Formular for hourly plus mark up
    Hi Everyone,
    Could someone please help me as to how I should charge for residential cleaning and make a profit without charging too much.
    I started a cleaning company a short time ago and have been really busy but think I am charging too little for my work.

Most of the sites say that the going rates for cleaning are from 30-40 an hour.
    Is this per man hour or total time and how do you figure this out and still make a profit.
    Some houses require two to three people to clean.

Is there a formula for this?

Thank you
    Nanc1430
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 09:55 AM

Typically yes, it is per person. For instance, our cleaners charge a $100/hour rate but includes 3 people.

The formula is pretty simple... How much do you feel you should clear per hour? Add to that the cost of running the business and that's what you charge.

So if you want to make $25/hr and figure in $10 in supplies and transportation, you charge $35/hr. If you have to pay someone $20/hr and they use the same $10 in supplies, they cost 30/hr to have on site. As the business owner you should make a profit for having the employee so you would charge 35 or 40 per hour.

Where I live 60-70/hr for a 2 person crew is not at all out of the ordinary.

Best bet would be to call your local competitors and get quotes on what they are charging. Then either charge the same, a bit less to attract more clients or more but offer more in return.

Jan 6, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Rate per hour and markup
    To Steve that helped me with my last question. I figured on about 10.00 for supplies and travel but still need to know how to add a markup if I am going to be paying everything else out for labor and 10.00 for travel, where does the markup come in?
    I need some more information on how to markup and still be able to make a profit for the company.

Thanks
    Nanc1430
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 10:53 AM

You have to pass the cost on to the customer or pay your employees less. If the market only bears $30/hr per worker and it costs you $10 to have them on site, you cannot make a profit if you either

A) only charge $30/hr
    B) pay your employee $20/hr

Now it's a bad job market so you are likely to be able to find quality employees for less than you would otherwise, but you also need to weigh the future.

This is the challenge of business... weighing profit vs cost. There is something to be said for not clear any profit while building a business too.

Sorry that I can't answer better - I've no idea what your market can bear.

Jan 6, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Thanks Stevetcg
    Thanks Stevetcg,
    I think I have it now.
    I was thinking somewhere in that line but didn't know for sure.
    I know building a business doesn't make that much profit but wanted to see if I was on the right track.
    Thanks for your help.
    nanc1430
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 12:09 PM

Glad I could help and let us know how things turn out. This is a bad economy and everyone likes stories of success in 'dark' times such as these.

And if you happen to be in the Melbourne area of Central Florida, maybe we'll do business in the future together!

Jan 6, 2009, 04:08 PM
    I know now that I'm on the right track, thanks again
    Thanks again Stevetcg
    Yes we are in the Melbourne area and keep in touch. I do need some help from time to time as this is new and I am feeling my way through it.
    As far as the times being bad that's why I picked the job that I did. I thought if the rentals were bad, the sales would be good and visa versa. With this I didn't think I would lose much.
    As far as the rates, I am doing just what you said but didn't know if it's right or not but now I know.
    Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 06:21 PM

We use Molly Maids here. I believe it is $125/3 people if we have them come once a month, $100 if we have them come twice.

Also, since you are local, check out that ad magazine that comes in the mail every other week. I cannot recall the name, but it has a lot of local restaurants and home type stuff. We find a lot of our services through that. That might help out business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Submitting a bid for a home construction clean-up. [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to submit a bid for a exclusive large home, construction clean. I do not know how to write one to submit. I have an idea on the charge, but any points would help. Thank you

Home construction [ 3 Answers ]

I built a room 12 x 24 inside a steel building 40 x 60 I want to anchor it to the floor with a remington nail gun how far apart do I shoot between every stud or every other I also didn't use pressure treated wood for bottom plate to concrete is that a problem (to late now)didn't think

Construction Clean up [ 1 Answers ]

I have started a construction cleanup company and I want to know how do I estimate? Is it by the spuare feet or by the hour

Post Construction Clean Up [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! Good Day to all of you!I just started doing my post construction clean up and as of now I do subcontracting from other company,and now I talk to one builder and he is asking me to give him my bid.Can anyone help me please.I am living here in Toronto,Canada.thanks and have a good day!

View more questions Search