Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michaelpleahy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Sundays off
    How do I ask my boss if I can have Sundays off so that I may participate with more church functions. I am also a Christian who needs to hear the word and fellowship on Sundays. This is very important to me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 05:27 PM

You just go and ask them, they are not required to give you the day off ( in the US) for religious functions.

You may want to start looking for work at a company that does not work on Sundays
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 05:30 PM

If you are working on Sunday, you must have chosen a retail position.

As long as you are in retail, Sunday's off may not be an option.

Of course, as Fr_Chuck said, you can always ask.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 05:56 PM

The policy where I worked for state government was that the employee had to be given enough time off to attend church on Sunday, but an employee being away for maybe 2 hours was not a hardship for our operation, usually. The same agency had to build areas for Muslims employees to pray x times per day. Yes, it was in the USA. I guess this could become a messy situation. If an employer was required to accommodate all employees religious activities, seven days a week, he would have to know the religion of employees when they were interviewed to see how he could put them in the very complex schedule. Then he would be accused of discriminatory hiring practices because he based his hiring on religion. A lot of churches have services on Wed. and other days of the week. Maybe it would be worthwhile to ask for just an hour or two hours on Sunday to lessen the blow.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2008, 01:29 AM

When I worked in retail, it was no problem for me to get Sunday mornings off to attend religious functions because the head manager, (I hate to call that person the boss) was not willing to get into the possible legal ramifications of not allowing me my religious freedom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My period used to start on sundays [ 2 Answers ]

My period used to start on sundays and end around a week later. Now it has been starting on a Wednesday and I'm wonder why that is... :confused:

View more questions Search