Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alanalov Posts: 88, Reputation: 2

Oct 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
    A Degree in Education
    Hello to all educators out there!
    May I please ask you, what do you think would be better: a bachelor's degree in elementary education or a bachelor's degree in teaching English? They're both very appealing to me, but I have a lot of trouble deciding. I'd love to have your opinion!
    Thanks in advance :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 02:03 PM

Well do you want to be an english teacher or do you want to teach elementary school ?

Oct 15, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    well do you want to be an english teacher or do you want to teach elementary school ?
    I want them both equally. :confused: That's the problem.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 02:27 PM

I got the elementary education and then built on that including a master's in psych. Others have done a master's in English or in reading or a master's in administration. The elementary education is a great base to jump from, whereas the English teacher is already pretty specific.

I could add more master's degrees, get a PhD, or just go in a number of different directions, especially if I write more books or continue to work at a public library.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

Either way you go, you will need the certification for Elementary or Secondary teaching. Some locations offer a fast track to teaching for those who already have a Bachelor's Degree... in any discipline.
    If you meet the requirements in your area, consider doing some substituting at both levels... that may help you pinpoint where your preference lies. This can possibly influence your decision as well.

Oct 22, 2008, 08:53 PM

Thank you all for replying. I think I've made up my mind. I have always wanted to be an educator and teach kids and I would do well in elementary education. Besides, I can add a TESL certificate to that, not a problem. I am thinking there's a bit more diversity in teaching in elementary school (math, science, art, English... ). People around me say this is what I should do. Any other advice or insight from people working in this field is always welcome, so please don't hesitate to post anything here or send me a PM. Thanks! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What else to do with a special education degree [ 4 Answers ]

I graduated in May with a degree in special education. I liked working with kids with disabilities and thought maybe I was good at it. I got all As, did well during student teaching, but I can't land a job anywhere. I think maybe I do bad during interviews or maybe I just wasn't met to be a...

Scholarships for masters degree in physical education preferably in USA [ 2 Answers ]

I am a physical education teacher in war-torn province of mindanao. I am very eager to pursue a masters degree abroad so that I can help in my own little way my community. Unfortunately I am financially incapable of pursuing my post graduate studies. I am not getting any younger anymore and I know...

Life Experience Degree and Ministry of Education [ 1 Answers ]

I am soon moving to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) and in order to work there you must present a diploma or education status with the ministry of education. I heard from a friend that they will check the diploma by having the University certify it through the US embassy. After talking with the...

Education/Degree Verification [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way to find out in davance whether an employer will try verify education/degrees for applicants? Is there a standard for this, particularly among municipal employers?

View more questions Search