Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George Orwell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 12:35 PM
    8 Finance Questions - interest rates, inflation, mortgage, bonds and stocks
    I have a finance midterm tomorrow, and there are 8 questions for which I do not know the answers. PLEASE HELP :(

1- April is saving $250 in nominal dollars at the end of each year for the next 12 years. The expected annual nominal interest rate is 3% for the first 4 years, 3.6% for the next 6 years and 4% for the last 2 years. The expected annual rate of inflation is 2% for the first 4 years, 2.2% for the next 6 years and 2.5% for the last
    2 years. At the end of 12 years, how much will April have in real dollars? What is the present value today of the savings account future value that you have just calculated?

2 - You plan to retire in 45 years and want to have $2 million in your account by then. You deposit an equal amount into your account at the end of each month consecutively for the next 30 years and then stop the contributions. The monthly interest rate is 1.06%. What will this equal amount be?

3- You’ve inherited $15,000,000 and have decided to use this money to open a shelter for abused women in Aurora one year from today. The annual
    operating costs are estimated to be $350,000 and are expected to grow at
    a constant rate of 2% (inflation) starting in year 2. If the interest rate is 4.5%, would you be able to fund this shelter? Given the scenario, what would be the maximum amount available for annual operating expenses?

3- What is the future value of a 20-year growing annuity if the growth rate is 2%, the annual interest rate is 6% and the payment at the end of year 1 is $5,000?

4- Cash flows of an amount X occur in months 1, 3, 5, …, 17 and 19 (the 10 odd-numbered months). Cash flows of an amount Z occur in months 2, 4, 6, …, 18 and 20 (the 10 even-numbered months) The APR is 6% and is compounded on a monthly basis.
    How much money will be accumulated 20 months from now if X = $1,000 and Z = $0? What is the present value of these cash flows today if X = $1,000 and Z = - $1,000? If the present value of these cash flows today is $12,000, and the future value of the Z’s cash flows 20 months from now is $5,000, what is the value of X?

5- Your retired Aunt in Florida purchased a new condo near Sarasota two years ago at a price of $300,000. The interest rate for the first two years of the 15-year mortgage was fixed at 2.8% (APR, compounded semiannually) and no down payment was required. Beginning year 3, the rate adjusts to LIBOR plus 3% (also APR, compounded semiannually).
    If LIBOR is currently at 4.25%, what will be the difference in payments
    between her Year 1 and Year 3 payments?
    She recently had her condo appraised at $245,000. How much higher or lower is the new market value compared to the remaining principal amount on the mortgage as of Year 3? What will be the total interest amount that your Aunt will pay over the 15- year mortgage period if LIBOR remains at 4.25%?

6- You purchased a 10-year bond on the basis of a current yield of 6.5%. The face value of the bond at maturity is $1,000 and the coupon rate is 6% (APR) payable semi-annually.
    What are the purchase price of the bond and its YTM?
    The day after you bought the bond, interest rates on similar bonds
    decreased by one full percentage. You were planning to sell the bond
    after 3 years. If interest rates don’t change between now and then,
    what price would you get for your bond in 3 years?
    Instead, you sold your bond a year after purchasing it. Calculate the
    rate of return on your investment at yield to maturity of 5.5% and any
    interest income received on the bond is reinvested at 1% APR
    compounded semi-annually?

7- A company decides to issue 10,000 bonds with a 10-year maturity and a 6% coupon rate. The bond has a face value of $1,000 and pays semi-annual coupons. The market requires an effective yield to maturity on a bond with similar risk of 7%.
    What is the fair price of the bond?
    In order to be able to pay the total face value back in 10 years, the company decides to use a sinking fund in which it will make semi-annual payments that would serve to accumulate the total face value. The sinking fund pays an interest rate of 3% compounded semi-annually.
    What is the semi-annual payment the company must make to the
    sinking fund?
    What is the total semi-annual cash outflow for the company?

8-Your broker offers to sell you some shares of ABC Co. common stock that paid a dividend of $2 today. You expect the dividend to grow at the rate of 5% per year for the next 3 years, and then at 10% forever. The interest rate is 12%.
    Find the expected dividend for each of the next four years?
    What is the fair price of the stock three years from now?
    What is the fair price of the stock today?
    George Orwell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 12:38 PM

I don't need someone to do all the work for me - it will take too much time. If someone can point me in the right direction (in terms of what formulas to use, or the best way to approach the problem), I'd greatly appreciate it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deducting Mortgage Interest abroad in Islamic Finance? [ 1 Answers ]

I am presently living in Dubai where I am considering buying a house. I understand from some of the other blogs that so long as that house is my first home or second home, the loan is secured against the home, there is a true debtor creditor relationship, I'm legally legally liable for the...

Topic : Inflation Rates [ 1 Answers ]

Due to a recession, the inflation rate expected for the coming year is only 3 perecent. However, the inflation rate in Year 2 and thereafter is expected to be constant t some level above 3%. Assume that the real risk-free rate is k*= 2% for all maturities and that the expectations theory explains...

1099-misc, 403b contribution, mortgage interest questions [ 4 Answers ]

QUESTION 1 I received a 1099-misc for a seminar I attended. It is not from my main job, where I got a regular W2. I own a home, and am using TurboTax. They're using a full form 1040. For this money from the 1099-misc, they want it on the schedule C, for saying it's from my personal business....

Inflation linked bonds [ 2 Answers ]

How do CPI linked bonds react (price and yield) to increases in expected inflation in both the short term and long term?

View more questions Search