Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susy Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

May 30, 2006, 09:02 PM
    Is this a normal behavior?
    I have a 6 months old baby with my husband.
    We live with my family ( Mom, sister, little brother) My little brother is 1 year old, and before my baby was born, my husband used to get along with him. Now, he doesn't even look at my little brother. And when he looks at him, it seems like he is mad at him ( but he says I am misunderstanding, and that he doesn't have time for playing with two kids.) I tell him that a simple smile to him (to my little brother) would be enough, but he doesn't hear me. Im afraid he interferes with my little brother's psychology since he feels kind of rejected. Is my husband's behavior a normal behavior??
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 30, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Maybe your husband thinks he will betraying his new kid if he plays with your little brother.
    I have twin boys and a lot of nieces and nephews.
    But I try to play and be nice to all of them.
    But I do tend to lean more towards my own kids.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 31, 2006, 03:34 AM
    I would not worry about your brother's phychology... but I would keep working on your husband a bit - try for the little things like smiling, as you mentioned, then next step, a smile and "Hi buddy!"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2006, 03:06 PM
    First I will say that living with your parents is not a good situation with a husband and now a baby.

This is but one of a 1000 issues that will and may have already come up.
    Your husband and you are still "kids" in the one household with kids, and the emotional stress on trying to be the parent and the child at the same time is hard.
    imlex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Your husband may be feeling like he suddenly has two children to worry over,if he shows one affection the other will pine for the same,he is a dad but may feel guilt at not being able to just shower attention on your new baby,apart from letting your husband know he is allowed to just be a father to your son and showing a normal amount of attention to your little brother,there isn't much you can do, do you see in the immediate future,a home of your own as this would help with the right bonding between parents and THEIR baby.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 9, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Hmmm I don't exactly buy the "doesn't have enough time" answer your husband provided. I would take that as a something of a smoke screen (which we all do sometimes too so no getting on a high horse here okay?) and gently inquire further. Or at the very least, I would state that I don't understand how time suddenly became so precious and invite him to explain further. Draw him out in a caring and careful way. Confess you are feeling some stress with a newborn and after elaborating, then ask about how he is feeling the stress. Ask about what expectations he has or thinks others have. Skip any discussion about how he looks at your brother since your husband may be doing it without realizing it. Be open, not defensive, to hearing something your brother is doing that is not helpful but you just weren't aware of it. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it and help your husband make a better and certainly more conscious decision too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat behavior change [ 4 Answers ]

My male cat has been acting strangely the last couple of days. He usually does not like to sit with people, and dislikes being bothered, but lately this has changed. He has been sleeping in weird places, like under desks, and comes and curls up next to people. Also if you pick him up and set him...

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

Unusual cat behavior [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old female tabby cat that is and always has been a loving cat. She lives with us on 6 acres partially wooded. She came in the house after being out for a few hours. She started acting strangely in way of getting up and down out of my lap - meowing very loudly and very suddenly...

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

ODD dog behavior [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Terrier lab mix... or mutt how ever you look at it. He has developed on behaviors. We often times go to socialize at a friends house who has a dog. They play and have a great time. He never spends the night there or anything. He is very happy while he there. But for the...

View more questions Search