Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Vitamin C and diarrhea
    Is there a multivitamin available that does not contain vitamin C? More than about 40 mg of vitamin C a day, gives me gas and diarrhea. I really have to watch my dietary intake of vitamin C and limit several foods I like, like broccoli and strawberries.

Is there something else that could be giving me diarrhea other than the vitamin? I know that limiting it is effective. Buying vitamins separately is complicated and expensive.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 14, 2008, 04:57 PM

You could be right but you really have to try the process of elimination (play on words, sorry !). Here is an excerpt of everything known to cause diarrhea that most people would not even consider. It may be a start for you.

Diarrhea can also be brought on by several other known causative factors. Diarrhea is known to occur when a person consumes more fruits or vegetables than his or her digestive tract is used to handling at one time-this form of diarrhea may be relieved after a short period. The typical causative factors of such diarrhea appear to be all kinds of citrus fruits and protein rich beans. Diarrhea can also be triggered by the consumption of large amounts of some common chemicals, such as the low-calorie sweetener sorbitol. The constant use of therapeutic doses of the vitamin C or the mineral magnesium can also lead to diarrhea like conditions as a side effect - the dosage of such supplements must be reduced at once, if such side effects occur when supplementation is carried out using the compounds. A disorder known as lactose intolerance - which is an inability of some individuals to digest the sugar-lactose - in diary products- is known to cause the production of large volumes of gas, abdominal bloating, and persistent diarrhea every time such individuals consume any milk, cheese, or ice cream-in this case, the diarrhea is a direct side effect of another disorder. The “friendly” bacteria in the intestines are destroyed by the continued use of antibiotics; this is known to bring on symptoms of diarrhea in the person using the antibiotics. Diarrhea can also be triggered by stress in certain individuals. The presence of persistent diarrhea in an individual can also be a direct physical symptom of some underlying gastrointestinal disorder-these can include the presence of disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, the condition known as colitis, the presence of Crohn's disease, the presence of pancreatic disease, or even cancer of the colon.

I hope it helps.
    boron Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Oct 24, 2008, 06:46 AM
    The problem with vitamin Supplements is usually a fructose, or a "sugar alcohol" like sorbitol, xylitol, maltitol erythritol etc. These sugars when ingested in excess may drag water into intestine and cause diarrhea. It may happen with any sweetened drug, especially with syrups for children.

Healthy people can usually ingest up to 25 g of fructose "per serving". Persons with fructose malabsorption can safely ingest by far lower amount of fructose (or sorbitol).

Test for fructose malabsorption is a breath test with fructose, performed by gastroenterologist.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys.

Tickle, I have tested for excess fruits, vegetables and legumes, lactose and sorbital. Sorbital is a bad thing, ooh, so that's avoided. I don't believe I have a problem with lactose and don't take antibiotics.

Actually I took two courses of amoxicillin in the early 90's for a bladder infection. It made my breath smell like poop but there were other no side effects.

When I need to go number two, it's like NOW (well within 5-10 minutes.) And the concept of reading a magazine while "waiting" is a foreign concept. Does this suggest an irritable bowel?

Boron, do supplements like Centrum contain alcohol sugars? I guess reading labels more carefully may help.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 03:46 PM

Yes. Yes yes read labels always.

Irritable bowel syndrome. That is a horse of different colour. I couldn't read on the toilet because I was like you. Fast. Until I st arted taking a fibre supplement and in a couple of days it was back to once a day and I could read my paper.

Suggest discovering fibre supplements.
    boron Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Oct 25, 2008, 01:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    Boron, do supplements like Centrum contain alcohol sugars? I guess reading labels more carefully may help.
    Any product containing sugar alcohols should have a label with "polyols" mentioned.

Irritable bowel syndrome is a group of different disorders, which may be discovered and named properly, or can't be discovered, since they arise let's say from psychological reasons.

If you can't stand sorbitol, you should also avoid other polyols: xylitol, maltitol, mannitol, maltitol, erythritol (most end on -tol). And if I suspect you have fructose malabsorption, you should avoid foods high in fructose: honey, apples, pears, dried fruits, especially prunes. Also avoid HFCS: High Fructose Corn Syrup - it may be found in "low calorie foods", sodas, or in any artificially sweetened food product. Wheat may also be a problem. If you think you have fructose malabsorption, read that article. I can tell you how to make a short low-fructose diet trial then, to solve this issue.
    bullet777 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
    There is a good possibility that you have a glutathione defiency (nearly everyone does) and this is relative to almost every health condition.

There is a new supplement available that will help your body increase production of this most important tri-peptide amino acid.

If you send me an email with your address, I'll send you a one-week sample to see if it helps. Most people see results in a few days, if that is the problem. And if it isn't, it won't do you any harm as it is made of components naturally found in the body.

Rob
    [email protected]
    jerrycollie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Yes, Vitamin C in large doses of 500 mg or more gives me diarrhea. However, when I switched to timed release vitamin C, I found I could handle 3,000 mg per day with no problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat has diarrhea [ 11 Answers ]

My cat has had diarehha for five days now. Otherwise she is healthy and eating properly. Is there a "home" remedy I can try for her before taking her to the vet?

Cat has diarrhea [ 4 Answers ]

I'm struggling and hope someone out there has experienced this and can offer some advice. Four weeks ago, I adopted a cat (1 year old ish) from the shelter. Since bringing her home she has had constant diarrhea. I'm not talking soft stools - I'm talking like passing water through her digestive...

Diarrhea [ 4 Answers ]

I did not see a section for pets so I thought it would be okay to ask my question under "people medical conditions". My dog is 6 months old and he has had diarrhea and mucous covered stool off and on for about 3 months now. We have taken him to the vet 3 times and the first time it was Giardia, the...

Bloody diarrhea [ 4 Answers ]

I have got a female dalmatian dog whose age is 1year I have left my dog at the care of a friend of mine and when I got it back ,first day it was looking tired and sleepy with loss of appetite On the second day diarrhea and severe vomiting started ,I went to the vet who gave it abroad spectrum...

Cat vomiting/diarrhea [ 2 Answers ]

My cat got a rabies shot today around 12:30pm, around 5:30pm she started vomitting and having diarrhea. Is this because of a reaction to the shot, and will it pass, or should I be more worried? She is very alert and doesn't seem to be sick other than now she has vomitted about 5 times and has...

View more questions Search