Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
    McCain Head of Pres Trans Team former Lobbiest for Saddam Hussein
    William Timmons, the Washington lobbyist who John McCain has named to head his presidential transition team, aided an influence effort on behalf of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to ease international sanctions against his regime.

The two lobbyists who Timmons worked closely with over a five year period on the lobbying campaign later either pleaded guilty to or were convicted of federal criminal charges that they had acted as unregistered agents of Saddam Hussein's government.

During the same period beginning in 1992, Timmons worked closely with the two lobbyists, Samir Vincent and Tongsun Park, on a previously unreported prospective deal with the Iraqis in which they hoped to be awarded a contract to purchase and resell Iraqi oil. Timmons, Vincent, and Park stood to share at least $45 million if the business deal went through.

Timmons' activities occurred in the years following the first Gulf War, when Washington considered Iraq to be a rogue enemy state and a sponsor of terrorism. His dealings on behalf of the deceased Iraqi leader stand in stark contrast to the views his current employer held at the time.

John McCain strongly supported the 1991 military action against Iraq, and as recently as Sunday described Saddam Hussein as a one-time menace to the region who had "stated categorically that he would acquire weapons of mass destruction, and he would use them wherever he could." by Murray Raas, blogger
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2008, 04:00 PM

Working on behalf of the Oil for Food Program in itself is not a bad thing . That was a well intentioned act trying to get food and medicine to the Iraqi population.

However ;as happens with most well intentioned large efforts they are prone to corruption. Although it is true that Tungsten Park is the scum of the earth ,I have not seen evidence that Timmons knew that Park and Samir Vincent were elbow deep in corruption and bribe taking . Even the transcripts I have seen from Park's trial do not show evidence that Timmons was doing anything else than performing a legitimate service.

But Tungsten Park is toxic , a covicted international criminal and a scumbag .Timmons should disclose these lobbying activities to McCain and resign .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pres Geo Bush's OWNERSHIP Society [ 1 Answers ]

From White House fact sheet August 2004:::: # Expanding Homeownership. The President believes that homeownership is the cornerstone of America's vibrant communities and benefits individual families by building stability and long-term financial security. In June 2002, President Bush issued...

Is the 2008 Presidential election now, McCain v. McCain Light? [ 1 Answers ]

"Obama has opposed exposing more coastline to drilling, saying that oil companies have not fully explored the areas open to drilling now and insisting that it would have little immediate impact on prices at the pump." But, no longer: "U.S. Sen. Barack Obama said today he would be willing to open...

Did I miss Clinton/Gore defanging the Saddam tiger? [ 8 Answers ]

Interesting video of Gore making the case for evidence of Saddam's terrorists acitivities. I don't recall Clinton/Gore being engaged in this issue. YouTube - Gore criticizes Bush for ignoring Iraq's ties to terrorism

Al gore and pres. Bush [ 4 Answers ]

Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses How do you account for this discrepancy?

F1 to H1 passing substantial pres. Test plus married [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks for providing insightful information at the site. Though, I am not sure about my exact situation. Here it goes: I was on F1 until May 2005 in Massachusetts and then moved to California for work on H1B (thus passing the subs. Presence test). Besides, I got married in Dec 2005 in US to...

View more questions Search