eng-adel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Voltage on ground wire
    Hi
    if there is voltage on ground wire
    what that mean ?
    dinkinpoop Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 07:28 AM

How do you know there is voltage on the ground? It might be being used for the neturel some where. You could be getting the voltage that way
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 01:24 PM

Voltage on a ground wire is a bad thing, that's what it means. At most there should be less than 1 volt potential between any grounds - what voltage are you reading, and how are you taking the measurements?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house [ 5 Answers ]

Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a...

Ground voltage problems [ 1 Answers ]

We have a pool that has been giving us some low voltage shocks through the deck. We thought it was caused by ground voltage by the utility and the utility came out and lowered all the ground voltage in the area. The problem still exists so, wanting to make sure it was ground voltage, we...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Voltage on ground wire? [ 4 Answers ]

Using a volt meter, I get a 120 v reading when touching the neutral wire and the bare ground wire. I get no reading when touching the black hot wire and the white neutral wire. What would cause this? Also, in what circumstances would a black wire and a white wire be connected with a wire...

Low voltage between Ground and Neutral [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to this forum and this is my first question. Should a properly wired 110 Volt house circuit have measurable or any voltage at all between the Neutral and Ground wires? Please advise if more specifics are required for a complete answer. Thank you, Bernard

View more questions Search