Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vald76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Chicken Stock vs. Chicken Broth?
    Hi, this is my first time asking of you Gentle Folks.

I've recently found the advantage to using canned chicken broth to start my chicken soups and other dishes. However, what's the difference between "chicken stock" and "chicken broth"? It has come up because I have a couple of coupons for Swanson's version of each different type.

So, please, what am I actually getting in each of these categories? Thanks so much.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 14, 2008, 01:47 PM

Chicken broth, you drop a whole cleaned chicken in a big pot with water to cover and boil it a few hours until done, or put it in your crockpot and turn it on and go back in a few hours. You take out the meat and skim off the fat and the liquid left over is chicken broth.
    Chicken stock, you take a leftover cooked chicken carcass (works great with leftover Thanksgiving Turkey) with most of the meat pulled off and boil that, then strain out the bones.
    Both of them are yummy and probably interchangeable in your recipes.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 06:50 PM

By the way, homemade broths and stocks are relatively inexpensive and very easy to do; they just take time. The results are well worth the effort. You can also make large batches and freeze them into portions. The homemade versions are worlds better than anything you can buy in a can.

If you must use canned, try the boxed versions instead; they're much better.
    vald76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 12:23 AM

It's vald76 here, from the original question on chicken stock, etc. Thanks for the clear answers. It's not such a puzzle after all. I'll be sure to select boxed broth & if I make some myself, I'll let it "steep" longer than my usual one hour. That was probably my problem that the store bought varieties were more flavorful than my weak brew. Thanks again.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 24, 2008, 01:20 PM

If you are making home broth, the best tasting chickens are the freshest killed, also you can use the larger older hens 4 or 5 lbs the ones called broilers or fryers are young chickens only a few months old that are tender and cook quick but have less flavor.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 03:32 PM

Hi again! I thought you could use some basic chicken stock recipes. I make stock about twice a week, and then I use it in all kinds of things, from soups and sauces to risotto and more. One thing I always do is make the stock a day before I'll need it. Then I let it sit in the fridge overnight so I can scrape off all of the fat (it sits on top) before I use it.

The following will give you a general guidline on what to do. You can make adjustments as necessary. Everyone has their own way of doing it.

In italy there's a saying that old hens make for the best broth.

This one is the closest to what I do:
    Martha Stewarts Homemade Chicken Stock recipe

Chicken Stock Recipe at Epicurious.com

Brown Chicken Stock Recipe at Epicurious.com

chicken stock Recipes at Epicurious.com
    tim.danielson Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2012, 09:08 PM
    I want to point out that STOCK is made from uncooked bones or browned bones in the case of brown stock. If they have been boiled before it is called rumouillage. (Which literally means 're-wetting' in french.) Broth : from meat only. Stock : from bones only. Using both seems more like a soup / consomme. (Homemade consomme starts with stock and then adds matching meat plus mirepiox and egg white to form a 'raft'. This results in a VERY flavorful enriched clarified soup. It will have crystal clarity, prominent meat flavor in addition to rich mouth feel from the gelatin of the stock.)

So in short, stock from bones, broth from meat, rumouillage from re-used bones.

My reference is my culinary foundations 1 & 2 classes a Le Cordon Bleu, MSP as well as our text cook "Professional Cooking, Wayne Gisslen, sixth edition, copyright 2007"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chicken Pox or Bad Hot Tub [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 year old daughter just came down with red bumps all over her torso, a mild fever, and headache. We just returned from renting a cabin in Pigeon Forge TN where she was in the hot tub. The hot tub didn't seem that clean to me. A day later she broke out in these bumps. How do I tell if it is...

Chicken or the egg? (2) [ 1 Answers ]

If the FBI breaks your door down do they have to pay for it? Do peguins have knees? Also what happens if a black cat walks underneath a ladder and makes a mirror fall over and break? :D

Chicken Pox [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 month old son was exposed to Chicken Pox and I was wondering if I should be worried about it? Thank you for your help

Chicken pox or what? [ 24 Answers ]

Well, we have all been sick in some way or another in the last two weeks. I need an opinion of what you think this could be. All 5 kids were sick: 1 was vomitting, had a fever for two days, head throb for a few days, then she was fine. 2 started this whole mess, he had a headache and fever...

View more questions Search