Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marlibrum1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Covering asbest shingles with faux/synth rock
    I just got off the phone with someone from JPJ Technologies who said that I could cover the asbestos shingles with faux/synthetic rock, or brick panels. The problem is that the cost is $950.00 for a 12 DVD training course. I gather that the price covers the DVDs, and printed materials only. Is anyone out there familiar with JPJ Technologies, or other information on faux rock/brick panel construction or stamping methods? I have just purchased the house, and don't have a large amount of dollars to spend. Thanks, marlibrum1
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 31, 2006, 03:12 AM
    Be careful. JPJ Technologies is "just a school". They'd probably sell you those DVDs even if you told them you live in a cardboard house.

Typically the asbestos siding is covered with a very thick, super hard non-porous paint. My first thought is concern over how well anything could be glued, mortared etc. to them.

If it were me I'd get a couple bids from local contractors. Get their opinions as to the doability of synthetic rock - and if you chat with them while they're there, you can learn of tips, tricks and generally helpful info.

From there, if you've confirmed that synthetic rock/brick will work on your home, you can probably do much better than $195 by surfing the web and visiting your library. Our main library, for example, has many of the books and videos that you see on TV commercials.

As valuable as any "lesson" would be your ability to see other houses in your area that have had it done... and as long ago as possible.

Sorry not a direct answer... but hope a bit or two is of help.
    BellaTricia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Call a company called Advanced Rock there website is advancedrock.net, they make faux rock panels and can probably let you know if that can be done. Don't buy the video it sounds like a huge waste of money. Good luck!:o
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jun 21, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Not to shamelessly advertise, but if you want to build the artificial rock yourself you could take my online tutorial - it's free

Artificial Rock - Instructional guide and online store

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools
    Vancouver BC
    Waterfallsman Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2008, 08:41 AM
    "Be careful. JPJ Technologies is "just a school". They'd probably sell you those DVDs even if you told them you live in a cardboard house"
    HA HA HA It isn't even a school it is a father and sons made bunch of dull boring DVD's that are a GREAT WAIST of time and money... Mr."JPJ" will tell you that you can put synthetic rock on your mother inlaw... You can install it over any thing.. but will it last?? He won't tell you about a job he did on a church here in AZ (where he use to live) that fell off the wall... He did show instlling it in his vidio.. If youwish to throw a way your money on him go ahead...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shingles [ 4 Answers ]

Can you get shingles in the genital area?

Faux stone paint and painting safely from roof [ 3 Answers ]

I've heard there is a paint on the market that is suppose to simulate stone (for exterior purposes). Do you know the name and where I could find it? Second question: I'll need to get up on my roof to paint a section of my house. The roof is steep. What is the best method to use for support?...

Faux painting [ 3 Answers ]

I'm painting and faux painting someone's bathroom and her tile is blue with a burgundy border tile at the top. She wants to make the base coat sort of a light burgundy and she wants me to sponge on true dark burgandy. My question is, what other lighter colors would go good instead of these very...

Shingles [ 4 Answers ]

My concern is the shingle virus in a swimming pool would the virus be in the water if someone went in with a blister and if so how long would it remain in the water? Thanks

View more questions Search