Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Difference between organizational unit and group policy
    Hi all,

Can anyone let me know what is the difference between organizational unit and group policy in 2003 server :confused:
    moyenda Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Dec 12, 2008, 06:17 AM

Let me try puttin it this way
    G.Policy is a set of rules that govern the overall fnctionality of your domain
    O.Unit is a container that you can apply those policies to, you can have as many containers you want.. & containers can contain others...
    lepide Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2012, 01:58 AM
    Hello,

OU (Organaizational Unit) are the container in Active Directory where you can put users, groups and computers. It is a smiliar concept of Namespaces in C#, where you can organize the related objects into one OU.

GPO (Group Policy Object) is a set of rules which control the working environment of user accounts and computer accounts and An organizational unit is the smallest scope or unit to which you can assign Group Policy settings or delegate administrative authority.

For example, You want to give some administrative privilages to some users, so you have to place all the users in one OU e.g. AdministratorsOU, and then create a GPO e.g. AdministratorGPO to define set of permissions settings and then assign the AdministratorGPO to that AdministratorOU.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Lepide

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to use Group Policy to block user internet downloading? [ 15 Answers ]

I have a computer for my kid, the OS is XP professional, I create only one administrator account for him(for my personal reason, I want my kid use administrator account only, not limited account, not other accounts). I allow my kid to access internet, but I don't want my kid downloading any...

Group Policy settings [ 1 Answers ]

How do I prevent all users in a site to not be able to change the desktop background and screen saver?

Difference between domain group policy and DC policy? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, may I know the difference between domain group policy and domain controller policy. If I want to restrict a user who is accessing the local drives and CD drive of a client machine and internet. How can I prevent the user/user. Thanks varughese abraham.

Hesitating when you come to a stop and only in reverse and difference in IAC unit. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1989 honda civic and it wants to hestitate when you come to a top and only in reverse and don't know what to do, need to know what the diffenece in the IAC unit for a manual transmission and one for a automatic trans. I have had this problem for a few weeks and don't know what to do cause...

Local group policy [ 1 Answers ]

How can I restrict local users by using group policy. I want to create a user and allow them to use .NET and SQL Server. The local user should be a member of which group?

View more questions Search