Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craiger123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Brake Caliper sticking
    I have a 99 Lexus LX470. I returned home from a long trip and noticed a terrible scraping on the left rear rotor, even without the brakes applied. I took off the caliper and noticed the outer one was like new and the inner one was completely gone. I put new pads on and started to work the next day and smelled a VERY bad hot brakes smell. Came back home and after cooling down pulled the caliper back off. The inner one (where the 2 locating pins are was the one that was burnt. I tried with all my force on a c-clamp to compress the locating pin that was the culprit and it wouldn't budge. I put a piece of wood between the pads that would allow 1/4 inch movement. It closed on the wood just fine. But, now in it's new position could not get it to compress from where it now was. Did the heating up ruin a seal or something? I would really like to fix it instead of replacing it. Any advice?? Thanks, Craig
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 04:39 PM

Several thoughts:

. Remove master cylinder reservoir cap, prior to compressing piston.

. Use needle-nose pliers to rotate piston into caliper bore, in order to provide clearance for new pads.

. Lube caliper pins with silicone grease, since caliper may be binding and not able to move freely.

. Adjust parking brake cable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 Quest Caliper bolts [ 1 Answers ]

How do I take the Caliper Bolts off the front of a 96 Quest? What size and what kind of tool?

Emergency Brake light stays on after brake is realeased [ 3 Answers ]

What would cause the emergancy brake light to stay on after the emergancy brake has been released on my 2002 Ford Explorer?

2006 Honda Civic.Can't collapse brake caliper [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing the front brake pads on a 2006 Civic. I did the right side, no problem. When I tried to collapse the piston on the left side, it will not budge. Any ideas?

Brake fluid leak- master cylinder or caliper? [ 1 Answers ]

First, my Honda Accord is a 1987 and has seen about 300,000 miles. It is slowly leaking break fluid, because about every two weeks the brake light comes on and I have to put in more fluid. I have looked at it, and the front right caliper is damp with brake fluid so I am replacing that caliper. I am...

05 Impala caliper bolt [ 5 Answers ]

I'm replacing the rear brakes on my 05 Impala, and I have messed up bad. I took of the rotors to have them refaced, but when I went to put them back on, it seems that my caliper pins are 2 different types. One is smooth with the threads on the end, the other has a small rubber seal at the end of...

View more questions Search