Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunny1988patel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Similarities between depreciation and amorization
    Xxxxx
    muslimrao Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2008, 04:17 AM

Amortization usually refers to spreading an intangible asset's cost over that asset's useful life. For example, a patent on a piece of medical equipment usually has a life of 17 years. The cost involved with creating the medical equipment is spread out over the life of the patent, with each portion being recorded as an expense on the company's income statement.

Depreciation, on the other hand, refers to prorating a tangible asset's cost over that asset's life. For example, an office building can be used for a number of years before it becomes run down and is sold. The cost of the building is spread out over the predicted life of the building, with a portion of the cost being expensed each accounting year.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 01:33 PM

Good Answer.

Amortization usually uses the Straight Line Method.

Deprecriation can use different methods such as: Stright Line, Double Declining Balance, or Sum of the Year Digits to name a few.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depreciation Expense and Accumulated Depreciation are classified,respectively, as: [ 3 Answers ]

Depreciation Expense and Accumulated Depreciation are classified,respectively, as: a. expense, contra asset b. asset, contra liability c. revenues, asset d. contra assest, expense I think it is A

Similarities in magna carta and us constitution [ 1 Answers ]

Compare two specific articles of the magna carta with articles or amendments found in the us constitution. Why were these chapters important to incorporate into the constitution?

Our similarities? [ 23 Answers ]

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html I am not sure if anyone remembers this link I posted here sometime back.. I did the beliefnet quiz and the results.. Islam (100%) Orthodox Judaism (100%). Now I am wondering where are the similarities,which matches my beliefs? Thank...

Amorization with straight-line [ 1 Answers ]

On January 1, 2007, $5,000,000, 10-year, 8% bonds were issued at $5,150,000. Interest is paid each January 1 and July 1. If the straight-line method of amortization is used to amortize the premium, the monthly amortization amount The answer is $1,250 But, I don't know how to work it out??

Similarities in humans and pigs [ 1 Answers ]

It was claimed that there are similarities between humans and pigs. Please explain

View more questions Search