Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpothoof Posts: 15, Reputation: -1

Oct 13, 2008, 12:15 PM
    He is being ripped of the only thing he has left.
    My friend's dad died when he was young. His mom set up a trustfund and now that he is almost 18 she wants it. She is threatening to go to court and take it away. She did set it up so doesn't this make he the executive over the fund? Can she take his money?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpothoof View Post
    My friend's dad died when he was young. His mom set up a trustfund and now that he is almost 18 she wants it. She is threatening to go to court and take it away. She did set it up so doesn't this make he the executive over the fund? Can she take his money?

Depends on the trust fund, how it's worded. An Attorney had to prepare it so it's undoubtedly legal but without the actual (legal) wording there is no way to know.

No, if he were the "executive" he would administer the trust which cannot be because he is under legal age - his mother is probably the trustee but I don't know what age he can be to draw on it, if this is mother left to his mother which she put in a trust for him, if this is money left to him in a trust - you need more info.

Oct 13, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Sorry When I said he I forgot my r. His mother is the one who set it up. The money is from his dad dying when he was two. He is getting part of the money when he turns 18 and a lump some each month. Its not her money and it IS for him but she was the only there to set this up. So we just hope she cannot take it. She is mad because now his ssi has stopped coming in because he is almost 18. Which he also never seen any of that money.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2008, 12:40 PM

Again, without knowing the terms of the trust or the father's will, there is no way to answer this.

It could very well be a revocable trust and it was the mom's money and she's changed her mind.

On the other hand, it could have been set up under the terms of his dad's will and is his inheritance, in which case, she can't touch the money.

So what your friend needs to do is get a copy of the trust agreement and rerad it or take it to a lawyer to have explained.

Oct 13, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Ok I just hope that everything works out for him. Thanks for your responses.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpothoof View Post
    Sorry When I said he I forgot my r. His mother is the one who set it up. The money is from his dad dieing when he was two. He is getting part of the money when he turns 18 and a lump some each month. Its not her money and it IS for him but she was the only there to set this up. So we just hope she cannot take it. She is mad because now his ssi has stopped coming in because he is almost 18. Which he also never seen any of that money.

No problem with the "r."

As far as the other circumstances - you need more info along the lines I asked. It's impossible to know what she can or cannot do without actually see the agreement.

If this came out of an estate it was not his mother's decision to make - the Court would have ordered the terms of the trust. And if it was her money, then it's her choice.

I've just answered a question with another question - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At home jobs good thing? Or a bad thing? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old little girl, and a job I have had for almost 4 years. When I first found out I was pregnant my boss and I sat down and discussed my future with the company. We decided that after my maternity leave I would come back part time (20 hours) until January of 2009. I am now back...

Wife left took every thing left child what to do [ 7 Answers ]

Well me and my wife have been married 2 years and she took off left the kid and the kid is upset that her mom left her again she did it ounce and lost bouth children before we were married so I got the daughter back for her and now she abandened the child again the child is 16 turning 17 in 10...

Did I get ripped off? [ 1 Answers ]

A "friend" of the family does work on the side. Today he came by and replaced a relay swich ($20.00 part), spent less than 10 minutes, and charged us $125.00. Does that sound right to you?? I didn't think it would be that much, and he still does work for my parents when they need it. Is this a...

Am I being ripped off? [ 15 Answers ]

I had to call Roto Rooter because water keeps backing up into my tub and sink and toilet. They told me they couldn't find the access pipe and wanted to charge me $2,000.00 to put one in. Once they put one in, they could fix my clog. I told them "no thanks". I tried to snake the pipes, but it...

Am I getting ripped off? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a condominium that has a Bryant heat pump / AC. I was told today that it the compressor is toast, due to a short to ground. The gentleman told me it was either an "act of god" or due to lightning. The unit itself if 17 months old, so the compressor it covered by Bryant's warranty. ...

View more questions Search