Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MagikPoo Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2004, 05:27 PM
    The roommate that won't leave HELP!!
    Help!!
    I have an off beat situation.
    I rent a large apartment with two floors, I have shared rent with the guy upstares, the rent all together is $1400.00 per month, now I'v decided to ask the guy to leave and he took it on himself to stay for the next three months rent free.
    Hes threatening me with a law suite of what I have no idear. He paid the other half of the rent for 14 months and out of the 14 months he's bounced 7 checks. He's paid till the end of July, and I've told him he has till the end of the month.
    He has no lease with me or my landlord. He is just a room mate.

Does this guy have any liegal right to be here?
    Can I just call the cops at the end of the month and have him evicted?
    Help??
    Gkhster Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2004, 07:39 PM
    Re: The roommate that won't leave HELP!!
    So much depends on your state and local laws.

He may have more rights than you'd think. For example, the courts might find that you have an oral lease. In addition, his failure to pay, and your tolerating it in the past, could be construed to be an acceptance by you of late payments. As if that weren't enough, you may not have legal standing to bring an eviction proceeding against him, seeing as you are not the owner of the property.

Those are some considerations that we face in my state (Tennessee).

According to your profile, you live in New Jersey. I found an interesting web site that deals with NJ's Tenant's Rights laws. It is:

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/place...antsrights.cfm

Finally, I am just thinking out loud, but I wonder that if the end of your lease came up, and you moved out, if your roommate would then become your landlord's problem. (And would the courts consider him a tenant or a trespasser.) Just a thought!

Be careful not to say anything that could be used against you. Also realize that at some point a good lawyer may have to be called in.

Good luck,

Guy

MagikPoo Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2004, 08:24 PM
    Re: The roommate that won't leave HELP!!
    Hay Gkhster thanks for the reply,

Wow great website, I went to www.nolo.com but only got vage responses.

It seems to me that you might be right, NJ law insists that the tenant go to court, and just like the jerk said by the time all of this is though it might be 6 months. But no he is no tenant he is a roommate and the anti-eviction laws do not aply to him.

And a an after tought I might move out by then ha ha..

But I digress, it seem to me at this point he has no legal point to be there, he has no lease, he is 1 1/2 months behind on his rent, ( that's the reson were letting him go),
    And he's wreaked the apartment.
    ericjenn03 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Mar 26, 2007, 12:08 AM
    But the landlord can evict him because he is not on the lease right? That is the law here and of course laws are different state to state. Make sure you read your lease does not have a clause about sub-leasing. If you are not allowed, then that could be a factor. Usually you could give him a 30 day "eviction notice without cause" and you don't have to tell him why. He just has to leave. You don't need to get in an argument. And the police should honor it. Again, that is our laws. It could be a possibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When to know you should leave [ 24 Answers ]

Need advice from anyone at this point.. I have been married for nine years, for seven years in the marriage my husband has been doing everything for every one but his family. He has left me so lonely that about a few years ago, I went to visit family and ran into an old friend. Yes a male...

I Want The Roommate To Leave! [ 8 Answers ]

I live in the state of virginia and have a verbal agreement with a guy who is renting out my spare room. I never had him sign a lease agreement. He is just a roommate. Now I want him to leave. He is behind on his rent. His dog uses my house as it's own toilet. I walk through my front door and slip...

How do I know when to leave [ 10 Answers ]

:( I have been with this man for years and I have been unhappy for about ten but I have been tiring to make it work he has no job we have a six year old son and he has been very mean to me ever since he found out I cheated but the only reason I did was one time with a old friend I knew for years...

Joint Lease roommate Problem... Please Help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I live in State College PA. I am in a JOINT LEASE with a friend on mine who sublet his part to someone as he got a job in the west. So here's the problem, the subtenant has not paid his share of the rent since past 3 months and the late fees incurred. Also he vacated the apartment while I...

Should I leave him [ 14 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfreind for 4yrs. I lived with him the first 3 then he kicked me out for hearing I was cheating, which I wasn't and he knows.We have been getting along very well, but every time he gets angry with me for the smallest thing (ex. Calling him more than once when he is out with...

View more questions Search