Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IvanthePipeMan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Kitchen drain won't clear
    :confused:Help! I have tried everything I can think of to get this old drain (the house is over 50) cleared. It will work for a day or two and then clog up again. Here is what I have tried.
    1. Used a plumbers snake to get into the pipe about 8 feet down. This worked for a little while and then the slow drainage problem appeared again.
    2. Poured down several different drain cleaners - this did nothing.
    3. Used a garden hose with an attachment to force water at high compression through the drain. This did help for a while but the problems reappeared one day later.

I have run out of ideas and patience.:mad:
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 13, 2008, 07:31 AM

Sounds like time for rotto rooter. Older homes have grease build up or roots invade the drains system It looks like you have done everything a homeowner can do on his own.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 07:32 AM

The clog is probably deeper than 8'. Go to Home Depot, rent 3/8" snake, insert it all 25'. Do it several times. Also, water under pressure (a.I. from garden hose ) will flow through partially clogged drain differently than by gravity flow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Clear Hotpoint Refrig Defrost Drain? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hotpoint HTS20GBWW refrig (top freezer type) about 3 years old. A couple of days ago, we noticed water building up underneath the crispers, and eventually leaking out the front once it builds up enough to overflow the lip of the bottom refrigeration compartment. From a little research, I...

Kitchen sink won't drain/SLOW drain [ 13 Answers ]

Hopefully this is one of those questions with an obvious answer... I have a two-side kitchen sink with a disposal on one side. The sink began to get backed up once in a while, then the other day as I was running the disposal, all the water and gunk and food backed up into the other side of the...

Adding washing machine drain to 2" kitchen drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2" drain that goes to 1 1/2" for the kitchen sink and connected dishwasher. I am tool proficient and have some plumbing experience. I want to add a washing machine drain breaking out from the 2" hub. The washing machine is 5' away on the same wall. The drain pipe need not be in...

Drain snaking: how to tell if drain is clear? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there! In a previous post, I discovered that one of the two main 4" cast iron drain lines from my house (goes to septic) had standing water in it: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/cracked-cast-iron-pipe-107834.html Even though I've never had trouble with this drain, it seems like...

Bath sink won't drain, pipes clear [ 3 Answers ]

We installed a bath sink that repaced similar one... older house, sink drains into floor not wall... has a "s" pipe, as before, but now won't drain after water runs a minute... then it gulps and a bubble comes out. Then drains very very slowly. Help!?

View more questions Search