Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breathless1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2008, 06:46 AM
    French Speaking people
    Can someone who is from France speak the eqivalent of quince English (very posh French) in French but not sound posh when they speak English with a heavy French accent?

Even if you don't understand French, would you not be able to detect a posh French person when they speak English? Or would they just sound normal?

Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 06:59 AM

Posh, no I don't think so. My husband is bilingual (he was raised in Quebec, mother from Belgium), I speak french as well, talk every day to french people, in french and in english, replying in french sometimes. I don't notice any difference, possibly because I am not looking for it.

Québécois is different from european french because it is, for lack of a better expression, quicker, a lot left out. European french is very proper, same as very proper english.

Funny question. Why ? I am curious.
    breathless1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2008, 07:23 AM

I on't know, maybe I misunderstood. Its just something that occurred to me.

I know someone who says he speaks either good French, or Posh maybe its my definition.

He hates it when I say 'innit' because its bad language. But when he speaks English it's the normal stuff, no heavy proper pronunciation but would you get that anyway?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 07:52 AM

Yes, there is 'good' french, as there is 'good' english. I wouldn't call it posh, I would just call it well educated.

He is right 'innit' is very bad, should be 'isnt it'. I don't think 'innit' is normal, but that is just what I am saying about french, Québécois is a lot of 'innit'. If you get my meaning. A standing joke with my husband and I is the conversion to english of a sentence 'I threw some hay over the fence to my cow', in french it is 'I threw my cow over the fence some hay'. LOL.

Don't take is seriously, breathless, we are what we are and as long as you can say it and get your point across, keep on doing it. I am Canadian I understand these idiocycracies between the english language and french language, but then again, there is Cayjun, which is a whole different ball park!

Have a great day, breathless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US born, French Father, want dual French Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, If anyone can assist me. I am US born with a French father. I have called the French Consulate in Los Angeles (my closest one) and they weren't helpful at all. In fact, I was treated poorly. I am trying to find out the steps necessary in order to obtain dual US/French citizenship. My...

Can French citizen applying for US citizenship keep French nationality too? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a French citizen with a green card since 1997, that I obtained through marriage. I have been living in the US since then and I would like to apply to a US citizenship but keep my French citizenship as well. Is this possible? Also, I am now separated from my husband. Can I...

French citizenship through french/canadian husband [ 3 Answers ]

Hey there - my husband was born in France. He's been a citizen of canada, resident of quebec, since his French family immigrated 36 years ago. We got married in Los Angeles, certificate issued at the Beverly Hills court-house, in 2003. I was originally informed that: 1) I had to wait 3 years...

View more questions Search