Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handyfish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 04:21 PM
    2 questions about installing laminate on the staircase
    I've installed the laminate flooring in my basement by myself. Now comes to the stair part. I have some questions that I want to get the answer before I start the work.

1. How should I connect the stair nose and the laminate plank? Should I put the stair nose on the tongue to get a flush smooth surface, but to feel worried that the tongue won't support all the weight. Or should I put the stair nose on top of the plank to get a bump kind of surface but feels more steady?

2. I have an air-compressor nail gun. Can I use the nail gun on the laminate floor, especially the stair nose?

Any advice will be highly appreciated!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2008, 04:32 PM

I thing there are two options:

1. Drill a slightly larger hole in a piece of gold aluminum stair moulding. Use the nails provided or use screws.
    2. Use the stair nose moulding with (3?) brass screws.

There is one thing when making your choice. Would the stairs see a hand truck. I think a hand truck can do some serious damage to laminate stair nose moulding.

Some areas might be better one way than the other. You can do both depending on the application.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing laminate flooring on stairs-overhang not tall enough [ 2 Answers ]

When attempting to install laminate flooring on our stairs, my husband and I have found that the stair bull nose dose not completely cover the underlying stair. The step is 3/4'” while the bull nose is 3/8”, leaving 3/8” showing. One person suggested that we cut down the part of the step that is...

Installing faux paneling and chair rail up a staircase [ 4 Answers ]

I have installed chair rail and faux paneling in my foyer. So far it looks great, but now I want to continue up the stairs. I have determined that the first outside miters for the top left corner will each be 22.5* cuts. Subsequently, the opposing corner will also be the same degree cuts. But what...

Applying laminate tile in kitchen on top of laminate tiles [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I had a question about applying those Armstrong laminate faux tile in my kitchen. The kitchen already has (at least one) layer of laminate flooring on it. There is an imperfection as well, where the flooring isn't level. I called a flooring company near my house and asked them about...

Installing laminate [ 5 Answers ]

When installing laminate flooring I read you leave 1/4 in space at baseboards and put down a little molding to cover it. What do you do where your door trim meet the floor, you can't leave a space there and the door trim is already there? Any tips about installing on a stairway? What thickness...

Installing laminate countertop [ 4 Answers ]

I will be purchasing ready laminte for a home store. I do i carefully cut the ends so that the ready made ends can be glue on to lool professional? I can i cut the laminate itself (it already comes glued down to particale boad. Can i use a table saw? Thanks for help!:p

View more questions Search