Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parent25 Posts: 55, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Worried about my credit future.
    My credit is pretty fair for my age compared to friends my age. I am 26 and its in the mid 600s (since the last time I checked 9mo ago). Nothing major has happened for it to change so I'm assuming its still around the same. I know that credit is very important these days and I don't want it to get any lower.

I have a few loans I am currently paying. One for $8000 to the bank (personal loan) and one to Bank for car purchased last year.. I have $19,000 left on that loan. Never late on any payments. I have two credit cards. One is paid off and the other I owe $1900. (I plan on closing that one this week and paying it off!) Im done w/ credit cards I hope. It seems to get me further behind.

Anyhow, I became a new parent this year and things are getting tight(Im a single mom, no help). I'm so worried about my credit. I have a fulltime job and I go to school at night trying to get bachelors. I won't be done for another few years. So until then, things are probably going to get even more strapped (financially.) I also have student loans I am paying that are in good standing.

I owe a few hospital bills from when I delivered that I still am unable to pay off. Those have since been sent to credit/collection agencies. Also, a gym membership (yet to be sent to collection agency but I'm assuming it will if I don't pay this month). Pretty much those are the only dings or late things I have. I maxed my credit card twice in the past but always paid off. (its maxed right now though that is why I want to close it once and for all)

I don't spend any extras at all. All my money goes 100% toward bills. My pride is not so high and mighty that I don't take hand me down clothes/toys for my son or shop at thrift stores for clothes for myself. If I didn't do that I have no idea how I would pay rent and get by. Of course though I don't always want to be like this, Im hoping this is only going to be like this for a few more years. I work so hard now because once I get my bachelors and get the job I am working so hard for then I can provide for my child like a parent should. I want to be able to send him to college w/o him worrying about bills the way I do. He is only 7mo now and it's a little early for college freak outs but still, his future is very important to me. I have to make him into the best possible person he can be and I can only do that by showing him (therefore, I sacrifice my time w/ him to go to school/work which is so hard for me)

I have sooooo many bills and I work so hard just to barely get by. Im not complaining though, I know this is what life is about. The struggle makes it that much more sweet in the end ( I HOPE! ) but I don't think I can carry on like this much longer ( Im becoming mildly depressed ). I guess what I'm saying is that I am burning myself out w/ school, work, and an infant. Its so tough, this whole credit issue is pushing all the stress over the top. Im not sure how much more I can take. Do I give up school? I can't quit working cause then where will me and my child live? How would we manage? If I give up school then we'll never get out of this rut because Ill always be making the same amt of money I make now, ($15/hr). So what do I do? Am I worried for nothing? Are the hospital bills and gym membership going to ruin my credit if they are on my record? Or are they not that severe?

I plan on buying my first home when I am 30 (as soon as I am done w/ school and land my dream job!) and I am worried that these hospital bills will come back to haunt me.

So. should I focus more on paying off credit cards, bank loans, student loans, rent, utilities, insurance, and stuff like I'm focusing on now or should I stop all that and focus on paying the hospital and gym bills because that may come to ruin my chances of being able to get what I want in the future? (ex. House, cars, future loans)
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 12, 2008, 12:47 PM

Hello

Well if you are current on everything then why not start paying on the gym and hopital bill.You stated that you had one cc that you were paying off this week and closing it out,why not take that money and pay towards the hopital and gym if that cc is not late and you are current on your payments. That hospital bill and gym membership will have to be paid or it will afect your credit. Like I said if everything is current and you have the money to pay off a cc card why not put that towards the bills that are past due.
    parent25 Posts: 55, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2008, 05:40 PM

I don't have the money to pay off the credit card. I am simply closing it that way when I make a partial pymt I won't use the card again which makes my balance again at max limit. That is not "paying off" that is living on credit. I don't have it so simple to pay bills. I am literally paying w/ pennies. Lets not forget I am doing this all alone and I have no money to save or pay on past debts because I am barely scraping by managing current bills that I have to pay otherwise I will be out on streets.

When you are "current on everything" that does not mean you have money to throw around that just means I pay what I have to pay and that's all I can afford to pay. Kind of like the people who are unable to save for retirement because they don't have the extra money each month.

Also, I have 7 bills in front of me right now. I have $32 in bank after paying off major bills this month like rent/car/ins. I have to wait until next pay check to pay remaining bills which I will accrue late fee for being late. Hey as long as the lights don't get cut off I'm good!
    jsingh009 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 02:38 AM

It looks like you have everything all over the place. You need to get organized first before you take any action. The situation you are in is not a bad situation but it looks overwhelming because you are making them look overwhelming. I suggest taking your baby to a relaxing place (beach if you like flowing breezing water) so you can appreciate what nature has to offer and who knows you may meet someone :)... don't know how to get organized? Don't worry, reply on this forum and will try to help :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Knowing which credit bureau is being checked when you apply for credit/Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Which credit cards use only the trans union credit report for their cc applications? this knowledge may help me save part of my universe>:D

Using future value of single amount, future value of annuity table. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, my question is how do you know when to use the Future of value of single amount table, and when to use the future value of annuity table?

View more questions Search