Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ltdrisk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 09:39 AM
    my briggs and stratton engine will not crank
    the 17.5 hp I/c ohv engine on my riding lawn mower will not crank.(model # 31x707) the crank shaft will spin seemingly at the same speed as the starter gear when I turn the key to try to start it, but the engine doesn't even try to turn over, it just spins. The crank shaft spins on both the top of the motor and the bottom
    I appreciate any answers pertaining to my question or a list of possible solutions
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Oct 12, 2008, 04:03 PM

We need to clarify the terms you are using to make sure we know what you are saying.

To "crank" is to have the engine turn over by engaging the starter. This doesn't mean that it starts. Just that the engie spins over.

To "fire" means that the when you crank the engine over it actually starts.

It sounds like your enigine "cranks" over by turning the key but it will not "fire" or start.

Do I have this correct?

If so, we need to determine whether you are getting spark and gas.
    ltdrisk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsfocke View Post
    We need to clarify the terms you are using to make sure we know what you are saying.

To "crank" is to have the engine turn over by engaging the starter. This doesn't mean that it starts. Just that the engie spins over.

To "fire" means that the when you crank the engine over it actually starts.

It sounds like your enigine "cranks" over by turning the key but it will not "fire" or start.

Do I have this correct?

If so, we need to determine whether you are getting spark and gas.
    Please, read my question before you reply with such an ignorant answer as that. (to 'crank is to have the engine turn over'... 'just that the engine spins over') are you trying to help me out or are you bored and you are breezing through these questions without reading them and splitting hairs?
    OK, the engine 'spins over', but it will not 'start'. Now please look into the actuall problem(as it is written) and please help me with diagnostics. Thank you
    Broussaidhopper Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Do u have spark from the spark plug and if so see if your getting fuel
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Oct 13, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ltdrisk View Post
    please, read my question before you reply with such an ignorant answer as that. (to 'crank is to have the engine turn over'.....'just that the engine spins over') are you trying to help me out or are you bored and you are breezing through these questions without reading them and splitting hairs?
    ok, the engine 'spins over', but it will not 'start'. now please look into the actuall problem(as it is written) and please help me with diagnostics. thank you

WOW! Chill out. Many people who post on here are not mechanically minded and don't know how to express their questions. I was merely trying to confirm the problem. I wasn't trying to demean you.

You're title of your post says that your engine won't crank. It sounds like in your description that it is cranking just not starting. I am only trying to help. But, to help I need to know which it is doing. If it's cranking then it's not a cable, battery, safety switch or any other electrical issue. But it is a fuel or spark issue. If it's not cranking then those are the items we need to address.

If it is cranking then we need to figure out whether you are getting fuel and spark. Pull the spark plug wire off the plug and hold it close to the spark plug. See if it sparking between the two. If it is then we need to address the fuel end. If it is not sparking then you will need to remove the engine cover and look at the magneto and flywheel to see if they are rusted where they make contact.
    kasey54 Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 06:29 AM

Seems like an honest appeal for clarification to me, maybe he should look elsewhere for the answer or fork over the $ for someone to fix it, I wouldn't even bother trying to help him out.
    nikolee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 06:16 AM
    If there is rust present what problem or problems will occur Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton Engine Crank Weak [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old MTD tractor. It has an 18 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. When I try to start it, the engine turned, but crank very weak. I charged the battery overnight and fully charged. I got the same symptom. The engine crank week. I felt the cable on the battery, and they got hot. Is it...

Briggs and Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

My Briggs and Stratton 10D902 lawnmower engine is running very rich. The air cleaner is OK Can you please advise

Briggs & stratton 6hp engine [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper valve setting and how are they to be adjusted?

14.5 Briggs and Stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the valves on a 14.5 over head valve engine? Thanks, roustaboutx

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

View more questions Search