Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nao381 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Can just being saved get you to heaven?
    I have always thought about this question but was never sure. So if you are saved and get off the path of God for whatever reason and stop going to Church and not living like you are supposed to, will you still go to heaven?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 09:06 AM

Yes, being saved is just that, "being saved"
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 12, 2008, 12:04 PM

That's right, none of us are so perfect that we deserve Heaven, when we are saved we put our faith in Jesus ransom sacrifice that He is able to save us. All those who call on the name of Jesus will be saved by Him. If you choose not to, then you need to get in based on your own merit.
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Oct 12, 2008, 04:21 PM
    If Jesus the Christ is your savior, then you are saved.

However, since you ask the question, you probably have some doubts about how great God's love for you is. That's usually caused by our moving away from Him until we are not sure if He could possibly love us any more. A very dangerous position to get into.

God's love IS that great, but if we can't believe it any more, WE lose our faith in Him as our savior. It is important to seek God in our lives daily so that we know how sure His promises to us are.

Heb 3:12-14

12 See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.
    NIV

1 John 5:13-15

13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us — whatever we ask — we know that we have what we asked of him.
    NIV
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Oct 12, 2008, 04:55 PM

What about these verses?

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.
    Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?
    Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    Mat 7:24 Every one therefore that heareth these words of mine, and doeth them, shall be likened unto a wise man, who built his house upon the rock:

And,

1Cr 6:9 Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men,
    1Cr 6:10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
    1Cr 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God.
    nao381 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks guys for your replies. I really appreciate it. The reason why I asked this question was because I got saved when I was in junior high and I was religious that whole time but when I went to high school I started to get away from God. I guess because all my life until then I always went to a private school. Then I joined the military and that made things worse. During all those times I never stopped believing in God but was not living the life I should have. Well the good news is that I started going back to Church and I finally got baptised on 9-21-08. Eversince that I have been trying my best to live and do what God says! I remember my pastor telling me when I got saved in junior high that I should get baptised but I never did, I guess because I didn't understand the purpose. No one ever explained it to me. Another reason I was asking is because I heard that "once saved always saved" doesn't apply. Just like Cogs quoted those verses. So I wasn't sure. I guess its still unclear.

Thanks again

Oct 12, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nao381 View Post
    ... Eversince that I have been trying my best to live and do what God says!...
    What does he say? We should listen. And by the way, you're on the right track with this idea. My advice is to think of god as a living person.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:43 AM

If you were truly saved... ain't nothing or nobody going to be able to change it. The key word being IF. IF you are saved.. it is a free gift, you can't earn it and... you are SEALED with the Holy Spirit of Promise.

We should as Christains Live to please the Lord but we fail from time to time. We are saved not by good works.. but to DO good works. When we don't, it doesn't make our salvation null and void. It makes are walk here harder.

Oct 15, 2008, 02:13 PM

Great answer classyt also by not holding fast to the word of God we make it harder for people who may be on the fence to want to join us!

Oct 15, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    if you were truly saved....ain't nothing or nobody gonna be able to change it. The key word being IF. IF you are saved..it is a free gift, you can't earn it and.....you are SEALED with the Holy Spirit of Promise.
    I believe the whole world was 'saved' the moment jesus died. Yes, it's a gift, because he gave his life willingly, and god willingly accepted it as atonement for the sins of us all. Being sealed with the spirit of promise, was necessary for us to discontinue sinning, or repent.
    We should as Christains Live to please the Lord but we fail from time to time. We are saved not by good works..but to DO good works. When we don't, it doesn't make our salvation null and void. It makes are walk here harder.
    1Cr 6:9 Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men,
    1Cr 6:10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Our only answer for these occasional sins:

1Cr 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God.

Some would say, 'i was washed in the blood of the lamb'. The only part of this verse that speaks to that, is our justification (what people call 'salvation') through jesus' sacrifice. Continuing after his ascension, he sent the spirit of god, by which we must also be washed and sanctified. With the true purification, we can become 'sons of god', and enter into the 'kingdom of heaven'.

Oct 15, 2008, 02:46 PM

Well Paul talks about unrepentant sinners, sort of hardened criminals--that they impale Christ afresh when they disregard the free gift of reconciliation offered by God through his son.

Oct 15, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue View Post
    well Paul talks about unrepentant sinners, sort of hardened criminals--that they impale Christ afresh when they disregard the free gift of reconciliation offered by God through his son.
    Yes, I was trying to remember this verse and you posted the gist of it. This shows that for even the worst, jesus' sacrifice atoned for their death as well. We're 'saved', but are not yet sanctified.
    kiralyfe33 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 05:30 PM

Hi I am very confused. I have heard many things about being saved. There are examples of these people I know that I need to give you and hoping you can help me figure out or give me your opinion that if they will go to heaven or not. This one guy I know smokes cigs which is a sin but other than that he follows God and tries his best to repent of sin but he still smokes and isn't trying to change from that so will he perish or still go to heaven with painful consequences? Also there is a girl I know that has believed God died for her sins and called on his name but she doesn't follow god's words and does whatever she wants and doesn't repent of he sins so is she saved if she keeps doing this or will she perish?
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kiralyfe33 View Post
    Hi I am very confused. I have heard many things about being saved. There are examples of these people I know that I need to give you and hoping you can help me figure out or give me your opinion that if they will go to heaven or not. This one guy I know smokes cigs which is a sin but other than that he follows God and trys his best to repent of sin but he still smokes and isn't trying to change from that so will he perish or still go to heaven with painful consequences? Also there is a girl I know that has believed God died for her sins and called on his name but she doesn't follow god's words and does whatever she wants and doesn't repent of he sins so is she saved if she keeps doing this or will she perish?
    I do NOT believe anyone can know someone's heart. Only the Lord can so I would never, nor would anyone be able to tell you whether your friends or people you know are saved.

Having said that, just because someone smokes doesn't mean they are NOT saved. My mother has smoked all my life and she loves the Lord and taught me how to be a Christian. One of my sisters smokes and she loves the Lord and is more vocal than I am about it. She is constantly inviting unsaved people she works with to our local church because she has such a heart for the unsaved. Unfortunately smoking is really bad for your health, and although I want them to quit because of that. I understand it is an addiction. I don't believe smoking is God's best for anyone... but it doesn't keep you out of heaven. Good Grief. I've done worse.

The other girl you described who called upon the Lord Jesus for salvation but continues to sin and be unrepentive... doesn't mean she isn't saved. It doesn't mean she IS saved. I think many people say a prayer but it is all head knowledge and it doesn't change their heart. It is by faith we come to the Lord Jesus and he gives us His spirit. It is the Holy Spirit that makes us WANT to change. You never know what is going on inside your friend. Only the Lord Jesus knows the heart. If she is saved rest on the fact the Lord is trying to get her attention and he will get it one way or another. Because the bible says who the Lord loves he chastises. It isn't fun to be chastised by him... I've been there. BUT... if he doesn't ever do it.. the Bible says it is because the person isn't His.

My only advice is this... if a person claims to be saved but lives like the devil... you don't have to own them as a Christian. You can be their friend but I would be very hesitant to call them a Christian.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kiralyfe33 View Post
    Hi I am very confused. I have heard many things about being saved. There are examples of these people I know that I need to give you and hoping you can help me figure out or give me your opinion that if they will go to heaven or not. This one guy I know smokes cigs which is a sin but other than that he follows God and trys his best to repent of sin but he still smokes and isn't trying to change from that so will he perish or still go to heaven with painful consequences? Also there is a girl I know that has believed God died for her sins and called on his name but she doesn't follow god's words and does whatever she wants and doesn't repent of he sins so is she saved if she keeps doing this or will she perish?
    Who told you smoking is a sin? It's not. Nothing in the Bible addresses it. Jesus even said it's not what goes into you that defiles you, but what comes out of the heart. Granted, it's not a very bright thing to do, but there's nothing sinful about it. Some people try to use the argument that your body is the temple of God (a la 1 Cor 6) and so it's sinful to harm it, but there are a couple of things wrong with that. First, when Paul says your body is the temple of God, he's talking about taking that temple and uniting it to a prostitute who serves idols, making it one flesh with the temple of an idol. It has nothing to do with whether one smokes, or overeats, or anything else except adultery with a prostitute.

Second, if doing deliberate harm to your body is sinful, Paul truly was the chief of sinners. He deliberately put himself in the way of stonings, whippings, shipwrecks, arrests, and ultimately, execution. So I doubt he meant that doing things that bring harm to your body is sinful!

Again, while smoking may not be a very intelligent habit, it's not a sin.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

May 12, 2010, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Who told you smoking is a sin? It's not. Nothing in the Bible addresses it. Jesus even said it's not what goes into you that defiles you, but what comes out of the heart. Granted, it's not a very bright thing to do, but there's nothing sinful about it. Some people try to use the argument that your body is the temple of God (a la 1 Cor 6) and so it's sinful to harm it, but there are a couple of things wrong with that. First, when Paul says your body is the temple of God, he's talking about taking that temple and uniting it to a prostitute who serves idols, making it one flesh with the temple of an idol. It has nothing to do with whether or not one smokes, or overeats, or anything else except adultery with a prostitute.

Second, if doing deliberate harm to your body is sinful, Paul truly was the chief of sinners. He deliberately put himself in the way of stonings, whippings, shipwrecks, arrests, and ultimately, execution. So I doubt he meant that doing things that bring harm to your body is sinful!

Again, while smoking may not be a very intelligent habit, it's not a sin.
    Agreed... I have never seen any biblical writer take issue with smoking and the bible seems silent on the matter.

Smoking is probably as old as human civilization itself so if it were an issue for God, I'm sure he would have given clear instruction on it. But, just like so many other things (playing cards, dancing, and drinking), human beings are prone to create ordinances after their own liking... an age old problem.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    Agreed...I have never seen any biblical writer take issue with smoking and the bible seems silent on the matter.

Smoking is probably as old as human civilization itself so if it were an issue for God, I'm sure he would have given clear instruction on it. But, just like so many other things (playing cards, dancing, and drinking), human beings are prone to create ordinances after their own liking...an age old problem.
    And nearly all of those are American bugaboos, including smoking. So it's a cultural thing, not a biblical one.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    Agreed...I have never seen any biblical writer take issue with smoking and the bible seems silent on the matter.

Smoking is probably as old as human civilization itself so if it were an issue for God, I'm sure he would have given clear instruction on it. But, just like so many other things (playing cards, dancing, and drinking), human beings are prone to create ordinances after their own liking...an age old problem.
    Jake,

I tried to give you a greenie but couldn't. I agree with both you and Dave, it is a legalistic mindset... and THAT in and of itself is a problem.

Dave,

I agree, it isn't a wise thing to do but certainly isn't a sin. Good grief, good gravy and good golly girdy... I've done way worse. :) ( never DID get the boot from the Lord who is so merciful, forgiving and remembers we are just dust) Thank you JESUS for your grace.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 08:46 PM
    Jake,

I tried to give you a greenie but couldn't. I agree with both you and Dave, it is a legalistic mindset...and THAT in and of itself is a problem.

Dave,

I agree, it isn't a wise thing to do but certainly isn't a sin. good grief, good gravy and good golly girdy....i've done way worse. :) ( never DID get the boot from the Lord who is so merciful, forgiving and remembers we are just dust) Thank you JESUS for your grace.
    Yes. There's a wonderful story that illustrates this whole idea. C. H. Spurgeon, one of the greatest British preachers of his day, met D. L. Moody, one of the greatest American preachers of his day. Spurgeon was a smoker (pipe, I believe, but don't hold me to it) and Moody had a pot belly like I do. The two hit it off nicely.

When he got back to America, Moody remarked that Spurgeon was an incredible man, but that he would have a better witness if he stopped smoking. Word of this comment got back to Spurgeon, and with his typical good humor (or should I say, humour?) he said, "I'll quit smoking when Moody quits eating."

Got to love it.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 09:45 PM

I do believe that a TRUE Christian will do as Jesus and then bible say do.
    That means that the person IS working his/her faith.
    BUT a person who does as he/she darn well pleases regardless of what Jesus and the bible says is not working his/her faith so it is dead.
    True it is that you can not work your way to heaven AND you can not get their with a claimed faith that is dead.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will you go to heaven or hell if you sin on purpose and you are saved? [ 132 Answers ]

Ok... I got saved about 5 or 6 months ago and my boyfriend who used to be a very good christian encouraged me to.. well now my boyfriend is slacking off and has been purposely doing sins, and asks God for forgiveness, knowing that he will do it again.. and he thinks that just because he is saved he...

Who sings the song Heaven o Heaven.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Ive been looking everywhere do find out who sings that slow song that goes "Heaven o Heaven can you help me, Iam down on my knees please heaven, heaven, heaven, I close my eyes and shes all I see heaven o heaven can you help me" The group or singer sort of sound like Boyz II Men Please...

Once saved always saved [ 39 Answers ]

How many Christians believe in the addage, once saved always saved? I have been a Christian since age 8 and never was sure until adulthood. I heard it said at the pulpit, that once you name is written in the Book of Life it cannot be erased. A good example of this is the relationship we have...

Can it be saved [ 4 Answers ]

After 19 years not only did he have a affair he fathered child. I love him and he wants nothing more that me to let him back into my heart. My mind keeps me wondering if we are fooling ourselves thinking it can work... Help me, has it been done, I mean done for real... I do forgive him and love him...

View more questions Search