Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Oct 18, 2008, 03:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue View Post
    Credo, something you said quite some time ago, you said that if you had to choose you would probably be a Buddhist. Have you checked into that thoroughly, I mean do they even take people who otherwise don't fit in to established belief systems? Sorts of square pegs? Because this sounds vaguely insulting to Buddhism. I'm not putting you on, I really want to know.
    Buddhism is not actually a BELIEF, but a LIFE PHILOSOPHY.
    There is/are no "God/Gods" in Buddhism. There are no wild claims in Buddhism.
    That is why I would see it as an option to Secular Humanism.

Yes I have checked into that thoroughly.
    Yes I meant that.
    Yes, Buddhism even takes people who otherwise don't fit in to established belief systems.
    No, this does not sound (vaguely) insulting to Buddhism.
    My reaction to your BELIEF may sound insulting to YOU (though it is not)!!

"I'm not putting you on, I really want to know".

I really doubt that...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis View Post
    Tommy, Tommy : have you now resorted to lying also?
    More false accusations, John?

I have never stated that "God" does not exist.
    Nor am I conceding that "God" exists.
    John, you have called yourself an atheist, and I have never seen a person more strongly opposed to God in my life. So much so that when the evidence is posted for God's existence, you refuse to even acknowledge it.
    Tommy777 : I have asked you repeatedly for reposting that list of scientific evidence you claim to have posted over 20 times before on other boards.
    As I have said before, that is a strawman argument. I never created a "list" I posted a number of different evidences for the existence of God, and you would just refsue to acknowledge them as you do now. You posted some of them on this very site a while back to try to prove that I had a "list", and yet here you are once again refusing to acknowledge their existence.

But that is not the topic of this thread John - once again you attempt to hijack yet another thread.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 07:28 AM

Now once again, to try to get back on topic. There is absolutely nothing in the Bible which says that we are not to work on Sunday.

If anyone wishes to disagree, post the verse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 07:40 AM

I will agree while some good discussion on some things, We got totally off topic,

And yes, I will agree with Tj3, can anyone show any bibical reference to not working on Sunday
    -

Oct 19, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    More false accusations, John?
    No ! Fair accusations come from my side. False accusations come from your side : see below!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    John, you have called yourself an atheist
    Yes, I am an Atheist. A "soft" or "weak" Atheist. Not a "strong" Atheist.
    I do not claim that "God" does not exist. I say that OSE for "God's" existence does not exist. So why should I spend my energy on trying to prove the negative of that claim?

... and I have never seen a person more strongly opposed to God in my life.
    Totally wrong. I do not oppose belief in "God" at all. All I say is that "God" is supported by BELIEF only, and NOT by OSE (Objective Supported Evidence).

So much so that when the evidence is posted for God's existence, you refuse to even acknowledge it.
    That is a lie : there NEVER was any OSE forwarded on "God's" existence.
    You CLAIM to have forwarded that, and I invited you repeatedly to repost that evidence.
    But so far you have refused to do so, because you know that doing that will show your "evidence" to be invalid as OSE.
    You know that. I know that. Many other people know that. Never-the-less you keep lying about that.

WHY DON'T YOU PROVE ME WRONG WITH REPOSTING IT?

You don't, because you know you are lying!!

.... I posted a number of different evidences for the existence of God, and you would just refsue to acknowledge them as you do now.
    All you posted was a list of SUBJECTIVE UNSUPPORTED CLAIMS out of the ICR corner.
    Not OSE on "God's" existence.

You posted some of them on this very site a while back to try to prove that I had a "list"
    I posted that list because you refused it, while claiming that the list was proof for "God's" existence.
    What it clearly was not!!

... yet here you are once again refusing to acknowledge their existence.
    I acknowledge that you ever posted a list. I deny that that list had any OSE for "God's" existence!!

But that is not the topic of this thread John - once again you attempt to hijack yet another thread.
    It was YOU who brought up that list, so it was YOU who went off-thread.

I started this topic. Don't tell me that I can not react to YOUR posts!!
    If you don't want this topic go off-thread, than do not react to this post, and indeed stay on-thread yourself!!

-

Oct 19, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I will agree while some good discussion on some things, We got totally off topic, And yes, I will agree with Tj3, can anyone show any bibical reference to not working on Sunday
    Does Tommy TJ3 require your help, Chuck??
    Am I not allowed to react to Tj3's posts that started this discussion going off-topic?

I opened a new topic on Tj3's "list of proof" , so that we can discuss that in that new topic.
    So let's continue in this topic only on "Working on Sunday", please ! LINK

Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 09:41 AM
    No ! Fair accusations come from my side. False accusations come from your side : see below!!
    John - everyone knows you and your behaviour.

Yes, I am an Atheist. A "soft" or "weak" Atheist. Not a "strong" Atheist.
    An atheist BELIEVES that there is no God.

a·the·ism
    –noun
    1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
    2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

atheism definition | Dictionary.com

That is a lie : there NEVER was any OSE forwarded on "God's" existence.
    You CLAIM to have forwarded that, and I invited you repeatedly to repost that evidence.
    Ho hum - you see John, this is why I see no reason to repost it a dozen more times, because no matter how many times it is posted, you just keep posting the same old, same old because you do not now nor never have been able to refute any of the evidences put forward. So you just deny.

Once again, Please get on topic:

There is absolutely nothing in the Bible which says that we are not to work on Sunday.

If you cannot, then it seems to me that this thread might as well be closed because it does not seem that anyone wishes to deal with the topic that has been raised.
    -

Oct 19, 2008, 04:09 PM
    John - everyone knows you and your behaviour.
    And everyone knows of you and your behaviour too.

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Tj3;
    An atheist BELIEVES that there is no God.
    WRONG, totally wrong ! And the worst thing is : you know that very well.
    We have debated that many , many times in the past, and each time I told you what an Atheist stands for.

a·the·ism
    –noun
    1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
    2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
    Wrong - as usual.

Atheism

A Theism

A = No or Without

Theism = Belief in God / Gods

A Theism = No (or Without) belief in God / Gods

An Atheist is a person who has no (or is without ) BELIEF in God / Gods

How many times more do I have to tell you that ?

Most Atheists are people who are Without Belief in God / Gods.
    Only a small portion of Atheists believe that God does not exist.

John, this is why I see no reason to repost it a dozen more times, because no matter how many times it is posted, you just keep posting the same old, same old because you do not now nor never have been able to refute any of the evidences put forward. So you just deny.
    Not so, Tommy : the reral reason why you fail to repost that list is that you KNOW that the list does not support "God's" existence, but instead is just a list of queries on evolution. A list inspired by your buddies on the ICR.

Why do you lie about that?

Once again, Please get on topic ***
    Why don't you stop posting your highly questionable off-topic comments here first?
    Specially as YOU are the one who started referring to this, in a topic that I started...

Please continue any further comment on your own "list of proof for God's" existence in my new board topic "Objective Supported Evidence for "God's" existence ? ( LINK ) , so that we indeed can remain on topic here...

*** Let's see if you hold yourself to your own big words...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 04:19 PM
    And everyone knows of you and your behaviour too.
    That is fine with me.
    WRONG, totally wrong ! And the worst thing is : you know that very well.
    We have debated that many , many times in the past, and each time I told you what an Atheist stands for.
    Disagree with dictionaries if you wish (and as you will, and have in the past). That will not change reality.
    Not so, Tommy : the reral reason why you fail to repost that list is that you KNOW that the list does not support "God's" existence, but instead is just a list of queries on evolution. A list inspired by your buddies on the ICR.
    1) There is no list. I provided a number of examples of evidences.
    2) If you were right about the evidence, instead of always denying that the evidence exists, you would refute it. You never have even tried.
    3) None of it came from ICR, nor did I even look at ICR material for it. All came from scientific sources.

Why do you lie about that?

There is absolutely nothing in the Bible which says that we are not to work on Sunday.

If you cannot, then it seems to me that this thread might as well be closed because it does not seem that anyone wishes to deal with the topic that has been raised.
    -

Oct 19, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Toms777 aka Tj3 : I thought you wanted to get back on-topic. So why do you now continue on "your list of evidence" while I opened a new topic specially for that - and clearly announced that also , completely with link ?

Nothing has changed with you I see. Your attitude here still seems rather hypocrite...

-

Oct 19, 2008, 04:43 PM
    .... We got totally off topic
    Yes Chuck. And as Tj3 keeps misbehaving here by continuing to post on his "list of evidence for "God's" existence", I suggest you close this topic asap.

John
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 04:45 PM
    toms777 aka Tj3 : I thought you wanted to get back on-topic. So why do you now continue on "your list of evidence" while I opened a new topic specially for that - and clearly announced that also , completely with link ?
    John, you are the one who keeps pushing your supposed "list". As for your link, let's see if you or any atheists can refute any of the evidences.

In the meantime, once again, Please get on topic:

sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 19, 2008, 04:52 PM

I don't feel like reading the other pages so sorry if I'm not answering the question like I should be. But the reason I think people are working on sundays and such is because, people are wanting more things and therefore need the money. And many people are losing strong religious beliefs. Also, if you work for someone who isn't very religious, and he asks you to work on Sunday, you can't really say you cant. Because your boss would rather have someone they can have any day. Another thing is, everyone is getting so busy now adays, on our days off, we have to work on things we didn't have time for in the week.
    -

Oct 19, 2008, 05:00 PM
    John, you are the one who keeps pushing your supposed "list"
    Please stop posting about your list of claimed evidence for "God's" existence.
    You are off-topic. It was YOU who brought that list up. See topic #37.
    Once more I refer to the new topic "OSE for "OSE for " existence ?" for further communication on that.
    Why do you post about staying " existence ?" while that does not seem to apply to you ?
    That seems rather hypocrite, Tommy!!

Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Please stop posting about your list of claimed evidence for "God's" existence.
    Grow up John. It is you who keep positing about your supposed "list. You posted the evidence elsewhere - why not drop it on here and we will see if you will actually deal with any of them.

-

Oct 19, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE View Post
    I dont feel like reading the other pages so sorry if im not answering the question like i should be.
    Everyone should reply the way you like and the way you "see" it.

As to working on Sundays : personally I have no problem with that at all.
    What I referred to was :

There are many fundamental Christians who like to tell everyone how Christian they are.
    This board is full of them.

But when it comes to real Christianity, the Sabbath (for Christians that is Sunday) is a day of rest, and therefore if one is so proud to be a strict Christian, why are so many of them than working on a Sunday ?

:rolleyes:

Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE View Post
    But the reason i think people are working on sundays and such is because, people are wanting more things and therefore need the money. And many people are losing strong religious beliefs. Also, if you work for someone who isnt very religous, and he asks you to work on sunday, you can't really say you cant. Because your boss would rather have someone they can have any day. Another thing is, everyone is getting so busy now adays, on our days off, we have to work on things we didnt have time for in the week.
    I think that what you are saying is largely accurate. We do need a day of rest, but the question here is whether we are required to NOT work on Sunday. And there is nothing in scripture which says that we cannot work on Sunday. So those who must, for economic reasons work on Sunday are not in conflict with scripture.

On the other hand, God did provide for a sabbath in the Old Testament in part to provide for a much needed rest every week, and I think that for our good health, it is important to provide for a day of rest during the week.

It is a commandment for us not to forsake the fellowship of believers, and thus it is important that we make for provision during our week for that also.

But scripture does not prohibit work on Sunday.

It is very telling that the only person on this thread who is saying that Sunday is a "Christian sabbath" and that Christians are not allowed to work on Sunday is an atheist who is trying to tell Christians what Christian doctrine is, and trying to hold Christians to what HE has set forward as Christian doctrine.

:D
    -

Oct 19, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Grow up John. It is you who keep positing about your supposed "list.
    Tommy : I do not push that list here at all : you started doing that already in #37, and are still doing that here now.

Besides that : your demand for Bible verses on working on Sundays is preposterous : when the Bible books were written, the Sunday was not the Sabbath, the day of rest.
    That was the Friday - Saturday period.
    The Christians accepted the Sunday as their "Sabbath" , as their day of rest and their day to go to church.

Also your "demand" for Bible versus is totally off-topic, as when I started this topic, my topic starter post did not even mention the Bible.

Here is a copy of my topic starter. If you disagree and want to discuss this with demands on Bible verses, please start your own topic.

Working on Sunday (2)
    With all respect for Chuck's decision to close the "original" thread, there is a part of it that may be interesting for discussion here.

Since I was born - many decades ago - Sunday was a day of rest for all. People went to church and used the rest of the day to recover from a long week of hard work. Only continuous services like electricity generation, oil refinery, glass manufactury, etc. were 24 hour services, carried out 365 days a year.

After WWII the free Saturday was introduced. For 2 decades only the Saturday afternoon was free, but than in the late 60's the entire free Saturday become "normal". For others who kept working Saturdays (shops etc.) an alternative free day was introduced.

In the early 70's - due to influences from accross the big pond - the situation changed again. Shops that normally closed at 18.00 hours had to remain open till late. Working on Sunday was introduced for certain activities. The "24 hour society" was introduced, based on the US concept of the same name and on pure US capitalist principles.

Now : for a nation that holds itself as Christian, how could such a nation drop so far from it's religious basis. How could capitalism shift aside it's Christian principles?

Your comments are invited ....

Addition : comments by Tj3 on either his "list of evidence" or his demand for Bible verses are not invited at all!!

-

Oct 19, 2008, 05:32 PM
    It is very telling that the only person on this thread who is saying that Sunday is a "Christian sabbath" and that Christians are not allowed to work on Sunday is an atheist who is trying to tell Christians what Christian doctrine is, and trying to hold Christians to what HE has set forward as Christian doctrine.
    I do not try to tell what the Christian doctrine is. I ask why Christians work on Sundays.

As I already stated :

There are many fundamental Christians who like to tell everyone how Christian they are.
    This board is full of them.

But when it comes to real Christianity, the Sabbath (for Christians that is Sunday) is a day of rest, and therefore if one is so proud to be a strict Christian, why are so many of them than working on a Sunday ?

-

Oct 19, 2008, 05:35 PM
    We got totally off topic
    As already previously posted :

Yes Chuck. And as Tj3 keeps misbehaving here by continuing to post on his "list of evidence for "God's" existence", and now even demands Bible verses to prove something I never claimed, I suggest you close this topic asap.

John

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Working on Sunday [ 12 Answers ]

The commandment says, In so many words, Don't work on Sunday. Does anyone obey this rule?? That is the question. If you gather fire wood, mow your lawn, punch in at work, or do anything that involves motion to accomplish something, you simply are condemed by God, and he will send you to hell for...

Sunday pay [ 3 Answers ]

Is it illegal not to pay workers double time for working on a Sunday?

Sunday Smiles [ 1 Answers ]

Six Cups of Coffee Freddie was eighteen years old, friendly, and eager to do things right. Unfortunately, he wasn't especially bright. He had just started his first job, as a delivery boy and general go-fer at a furniture warehouse. His first task was to go out for coffee. He walked into...

View more questions Search