Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickelley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 10:40 PM
    Smoking in NYC Apartments
    I live in a upscale apartment in NYC. I have opened my windows in the past few weeks due to the cool days and nights. One of my neighbors has a balcony in which he uses to smoke. The smoke smell fills my apartment every time the guy downstairs goes out to smoke. It is my understanding in my lease that no smoke smell may enter another room, or it is a violation of the lease agreement. Do I have any rights or am I to pay higher electric bills, suffer through the smell and subject myself and my family to second hand smoke?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2008, 07:05 AM

The other people are going outside to smoke. You choose to open your windows. You can't prohibit them from smoking outside the building, only inside the building.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 07:16 AM

Sorry if the smoke does not enter your apartment with the windows shut, it is not a violation
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Oct 12, 2008, 08:31 AM

Yes, you do have rights. The harm must involve more than a slight inconvenience or petty annoyance. Unless you can prove that your neighbor's act is deliberately causing smoke to contact you, your neighbor is within his/her rights. Possibly venting air through another window may help. The provided link may help in finding a peaceful solution to help resolve this issue.

Neighbors File Lawsuit Over Smoker's Stench - Total Injury

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting rid of a bad smell in apartments [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I don't know if this is the correct section to ask this question because I am new but if someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I have 5 condos to clean and two of them have food left in the frig and freezer that is moving. Personally I would just throw it out What...

Painting apartments [ 3 Answers ]

What is the going rate for painting apartments interior?

Beagles and Apartments [ 2 Answers ]

I am a college student and my roommates and I want to get a dog. We are considering a beagle. The concern I have is that we will only be able to go back to our apartment every 3 or 4 hours to take it out and play with it. Will this be enough time? I know that beagles hate being alone, I...

Basement apartments [ 2 Answers ]

Are Basement Apaerments Legal In New York City

Apartments [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been working on lowering our bills. Mine got paid off but he still has about 6,000 left. We absolutely HAVE to get an apartment in June and we are afraid we could only get 2,000 or 3,000 paid off by then. Our credit scores are in the low 600's. Does anyone know the...

View more questions Search