Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Oct 11, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Stabbed with hypodermic needle!
    Okay, so, about a month or two ago I was sitting in my room playing with a hypodermic needle(stupid, I know), and I accidentally dropped it. Not thinking I went to catch it with my legs and it stabbed me right in the leg. It got stuck and I pulled it out. It was only in my leg for like a second maybe 2. Okay, so, to the question. I heard/read that if you get injected with air you could die. I was wondering if I should worry about this? It's not like I blew into the needle or anything. Or pushed air into it purposely. So, Should I worry? Rush to the hospital? Whatttttt? And how is this treated if you do get air in your viens? I'm so scared, dude. :confused::confused::(:(:(

Here's what the needle looked like.
    (btw, it was a brand new needle, just out of the packaging. So, it wasn't dirty or anything)
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Oct 11, 2008, 07:50 PM

To be on the safe side jusst call the hospital and see what they say, they wouldn't tell you to come in if they didn't think it was important, more then likely your fine but call the hospital to make sure...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2008, 08:28 PM

Consider it the same as if you were stabbed by a sewing needle. The pressure in your body is greater than the environment, therefore blood could only flow out.

The needle would also have to get "lucky" to hit a vein and from your description, it didn't.

You'll be fine.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 12:02 AM

I guess that I am just curious... why were you playing with a sharp in your room? Just asking...

Oct 12, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I guess that I am just curious...why were you playing with a sharp in your room? Just asking....
    Lol, to be perfectly honest, I have no clue. I have this weird obsession with hospital needles. No like stabbing myself or anything. I just find them amazing. Haha, weird, huh?

Oct 12, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Consider it the same as if you were stabbed by a sewing needle. The pressure in your body is greater than the environment, therefore blood could only flow out.

The needle would also have to get "lucky" to hit a vein and from your description, it didn't.

You'll be fine.
    Thank you! This made me feel so much better. I'm still scared though. Lol
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 05:44 AM

If you were going to die you'd be dead already. And your not, your safe for the reasons KeepItSimple specified.

Chill!

EDIT

I've accidentally stabbed myself with needles like that at work a couple of times. It just hurts!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 06:04 AM

If you were going to die, from air, it would have been in minutes afterwards, so since you are still alive to type this, no worry now.

Also the needle would have to be in the plunger and you would have had to enter a blood vessel and then you would have had to push the plunger down.

Now was it a used needle, if so who else had used it, that is a large worry since used needles can pass all sorts of illness.

Plus just to be honest why do you have needles to play with
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If you were going to die, from air, it would have been in minutes afterwards, so since you are still alive to type this, no worry now.

Also the needle would have to be in the plunger and you would have had to enter a blood vessel and then you would have had to push the plunger down.

now was it a used needle, if so who else had used it, that is a large worry since used needles can pass all sorts of illness.

Plus just to be honest why do you have needles to play with

Yes, where are the needles coming from? I trust you aren't playing with/raiding someone's medical supplies -

Oct 12, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Yes, where are the needles coming from? I trust you aren't playing with/raiding someone's medical supplies -
    My friend, who was addicted to drugs, who is now trying to get clean, asked me to get rid of his NEW UN-OPEND needles. So, I don't know, I was messing around with them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket Away View Post
    My friend, who was addicted to drugs, who is now trying to get clean, asked me to get rid of his NEW UN-OPEND needles. So, I don't know, I was messing around with them.

You must know it is illegal to have needles without a prescription so I would be very careful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Needle? [ 5 Answers ]

I met this girl a little over a year ago in my apartment complex, as I learned more about her I fell more in love with this girl, she had a college degree in nursing, has a wonderful 2 year old & all the things I would look for in a girl. I feel in love. As we spent more time together I find she...

Needle or gun? [ 1 Answers ]

I have sensitive ears, like for a new peircing I have to have something like a sterling silver earing so my ear won't get infected. I want my cartiledge peirced, needle or gun? Stud or hoop?:confused: Plus I'm just scared (if it will hurt):(

Erratic rpm needle [ 3 Answers ]

My Honda crv feels like it will die once in a while when I'm driving down the highway. The rpm needle will drop suddenly and it decelerates briefly, then it's fine. This happened a few years ago and I took it to Honda and they replaced something, I think it was a recall on the ignition.

I get stabbed in front of my ex boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

I had a dream that I was driving gmy mums car and a random man who was a lot older than me was there... holding a knife to me. I had 2 drive to my boyfriends house (althought I do no longer date him in real life). I walked into their house and told his mum that I no longer loved him and was going...

Film where man stabbed in back with pen [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know the name of a film where a man (I think that its joe pesci) is signing a contract on mans back, then he stabs him in the back with the pen dotting an I or false stop?

View more questions Search