Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eyad1969 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

May 29, 2006, 06:13 AM
    Can I have proxy
    I am living in saudi arabia, here a lot of webs closed and not allowed to open and I want to know if there way to open close web from proxy in web, so if you know that there is proxy in any site I hope that you can tell me .
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 29, 2006, 06:29 AM
    eyad1969,

It is difficult to tell which proxies your country is blocking so you'll have try the proxy to see if it works. To get a list of proxies try Google and search for a phrase such as "web proxy free paid" and you should be able to get several hits for various web proxies. You'll then need to try them until one is successful.

Having said that... your country is blocking for a reason. Regardless of what those reasons are you'll have to consider/research whether bypassing the filtering is a crime or not.

Good luck

May 29, 2006, 06:34 AM
    They close the web that talk about politic and relgion and date.
    Nothing important really to close .
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2006, 06:36 AM
    What you mean nothing important.
    Those topics :- policties and religion are our current media.. very important topics actually!

May 29, 2006, 06:40 AM
    I mean not danger and not about crimes .
    I think every one have the right to read about other opnion not just what your coverment read.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 29, 2006, 06:43 AM
    http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2006, 06:43 AM
    But political media is what you need to read everyday to keep you informed.
    If its just what your government want you to read than that means they are hiding something, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cajalat
    eyad1969,

It is difficult to tell which proxies your country is blocking so you'll have try the proxy to see if it works. To get a list of proxies try google and search for a phrase such as "web proxy free paid" and you should be able to get several hits for various web proxies. You'll then need to try them until one is successful.

Having said that...your country is blocking for a reason. Regardless of what those reasons are you'll have to consider/research whether or not bypassing the filtering is a crime or not.

good luck
    Can some countries seriously do that?

May 29, 2006, 06:49 AM
    I don't know really if they hide anything cause I couldn't read what they write about us out.

Thanks needkarama , but even this proxy closed.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2006, 06:51 AM
    The Saudi government hiding something? Impossible!
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eyad1969
    thx needkarama , but even this proxy closed.
    Definitley hiding something then

May 29, 2006, 06:55 AM
    I don't know really , any way I am not saudi I am just living here from 1 years ago.and I don't care about politic cause I can't understand it.

May 29, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    Can some countries seriously do that?
    Yes they can and do. Hence, that's why there is such a big market for public/private proxies. ISP's can also do that to varying degrees. Take Earthlink for example: They do filter/block on their customer's behalf and they openly advertise that here in the US. Also, some business do as well regardless of which country you're in.

Web filtering/blocking happens everywhere for all sorts of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by eyad1969
    thx needkarama , but even this proxy closed.
    eyad1969... I had a feeling that if I listed anything specific that chances are it would be blocked which is why I gave you a method to search vs. listing anything specific. So you'll really need to search.

I'm also going to go back on my original suggestion to use Google for searching (at least not exclusively). You need to try other search engines such as yahoo.com, altavista.com, dogpile.com, msn, and others. I think some search engine providers work with some countries to filter search results as well.

This will maximize your chances of finding a proxy that you can use.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 29, 2006, 11:16 AM
    I'll bet highly that the filtering is done right at the ISP level. Probably packet inspection so it matters not what web proxy he uses the "offending" sites will be blocked.

Dialing in long distance to another ISP outside the country would be a good way to test this.

May 29, 2006, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I'll bet highly that the filtering is done right at the ISP level. Probably packet inspection so it matters not what web proxy he uses the "offending" sites will be blocked.

Dialing in long distance to another ISP outside the country would be a good way to test this.
    This is entirely possible though I'm not entirely convinced this is what's happening.

This kind of filtering where protocol level packet inspection (i.e. web traffic inspection) takes a great deal of horsepower to accomplish vs. a simple Access Control Lists (ACL) or IP blocking at a router level which takes a lot less horsepower to accomplish. One thing we never asked was what behavior is eyad1969 getting when he tries to access various proxies?
    - Is the site not coming up and timing out after a while?
    - Is the site not coming up and timing out immediately?
    - Is a web response coming back that says the site is blocked?
    - What are the results of doing a "tracert" or "ping" to the various proxies?
    - What are the results of doing a "tracert" or "ping" to the sites you want to visit in the first place?
    - Are all the sites you're trying to visit using port 80?
    - Have you tried accessing proxies that use port 80 as a service instead of 8080, 3128, or other common proxy ports?

Depending on the answers and thus what potentially is happening we could recommend a good course of action.

Assuming that NeedKarma is dead on about packet filtering. One thing that defeats against packet inspection is to go with an HTTPS proxy. If they are doing packet inspection (and nothing else) then https ought to take care of that since they won't be able to inspect inside the packets.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 30, 2006, 01:07 AM
    Here's an interesting article concerning statewide internet censorship by various countries.
    BBC piece on Internet censorship

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet sharing - analog x proxy problem [ 1 Answers ]

hi, I'm having difficulty sharing Internet connection to my other PC using analog x proxy software. My type of internet connection is dial-up. I have 2 PCs at home. Computer A has pentium 4 cpu, winxp sp2 installed, hard disk partitioned in ntfs while computer b has a pentium celeron cpu,...

Proxy Server at Boarding School [ 19 Answers ]

K I go to a boarding school which has a proxy server It has surf control, doesn't allow MSN or any Music Downloader And it also won't let me play my Online game(Star Wars Galaxies) What can I do to get around this and be able to do these thing? Please reply or e-mail me...

Problem with proxy server & ports [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I have been using the Analog X proxy server to access the internet across my network as I had a system crash with Windows XP which has blanked the screen which should show my internet sharing and network settings, unregistered files and deleted DLL files, and it is the only way to get...

View more questions Search