Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    organizedchaoss Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 04:12 PM
    GFI tripped and won't reset!
    My GFI in my garage tripped and won't reset. I turned off the breaker and took out the GFI, I use a multi-meter and touched both the white wire and ground wire, I got continuity. Does this mean that somewhere downstreem from the GFI I have 2 wires touching each other that are causing the GFI to trip? Please help
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 11, 2008, 04:36 PM

There may be more then on on the line, check it out. Buy a new one and replace the GFI and see if that solves it. I had one that got wet and I could not get it to reset, so I had to replace it.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2008, 05:06 PM

Disconnect load side connections, if it resets, it is likely good, If when you hook up the load side and it trips, it means there is a problem on the load wires. Don't buy a new one needlessly, unless you have the extra money.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2008, 07:03 AM

Also, the new GFI won't reset if power not available to LINE side(wont reset with power off)
    organizedchaoss Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Also, the new GFI won't reset if power not availiable to LINE side(wont reset with power off)
    I would like to thank everyone for their help but I got the problem squared away. Whoever originally wired the outlet took one LOAD and one LINE wire and paired them up so there was no circuit made. I did a quick multi-meter test and problem solved. Now my garage and all bathrooms work. Thanks again everyone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saturn won't start, power locks won't work, radio resets itself. [ 4 Answers ]

My 99 Saturn has had some starting problems in the past. It would sometimes not start but if you let it sit from anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, it would eventually start. Or, after having Dad look at it, we could tap the starter and it would work. So we thought it was the starter. I...

Garbage disposal reset but won't Grind [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My garbage disposl (Emerson Badger 5, Model 5-38) stopped working. I pressed the reset button, and now it makes a humming noise when I turn it on (no noise at all before reset), but no grinding occurs. There is nothing jammed in it (both the grindy mechanisms move freely). I tried...

Breaker tripped after accidental short after reset only halfthe circuit came bck on [ 3 Answers ]

While changing a light switch the hot accidentally shorted, the breaker tripped and after resetting only half the circuit fired back up. I checked all the outlets and switches all seemed good but again only half of them had power. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Outside outlet - won't reset - Christmas distress [ 1 Answers ]

Help Made a mistake and left the outside Christmas lights plugged in and it rained for several hours. House is only 3 yrs old however I do not see a GFI reset on either the front or back exterior outlets. No breaker is tripped. How and where do I find the reset for these outlets. (Manufacturer is...

Reset button keeps needing to be reset [ 2 Answers ]

The reset button on our oil furnace needs to be reset every 10 to 14 days. What can be the problem? We are leaving for the holidays and I'm concerned that we could come home to frozen pipes.

View more questions Search