Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BJimmy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Pex Fittings (shark bite fittings?)
    Tom,
    Great advice I have been reading your responses and amazed with your plumbing experience! My question is that I used a 1/2 pex/sharkbite fitting to come off the copper supplies for a new shower, how do you feel about pex/sharkbite fittings? Its been in for about 8 months now, no problems.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 03:11 PM

Sharkbites are just fine(however they have only been around for a short period in the grand scheme of things, so we really won't know for years.) Just like any knew plumbing product, we have to wait and see what the final result is.

I personally like the sharkbite fittings. Have never had a problem with them and they are a very good time saving device. My only concern with them is that the seal on them comprises only a single o-ring. Judging from experience, anything with a rubber o-ring will eventually leak. Like I said, as far as I've seen they are great. But I wouldn't recommend using them in a concealed area.

Oct 11, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Thanks for the input, I just felt weird about sticking it down and saying, "I guess thats it....."
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 03:49 PM

Before Tom responds,

I agree with mygirlsdad it is a new product and know body knows yet how long will it last I personally like it and I am not too good with the sweating the coper joints, please click on the link below will give some more info, Thanks.

John

Welcome To Cash Acme
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 04:02 PM

I hear what you are saying Bjimmy. Its almost like anything that simple is to good to be true. But as of right now, I am pretty confident in the sharkbite fittings. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It will most likely outlive many other portions of your plumbing.

Oct 11, 2008, 05:01 PM

Mgd77, just in case the common wall with the shower is sheetrock, so I can get to it quick.
    krasnal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 08:34 PM
    I had seen pex and sharkbite connectors in the past but dismissed them as "unknowns". Last month I had copper elbow on a domestic cold water line let go in a crawl space. When I looked at what I was in for to effect this repair I decided to take a closer look at "The New Stuff". I needed a torch to "undo" the old work but used pex and sharkbite connectors for the rebuild. All I can say is "WOW!!!!" The nightmare I thought I was in for turned out to be a piece of cake! It has been a month since I did the repair and so far so good. If the sharkbites hold, it is a win win win... I read that the technology used in the sharkbite connectors is the same technology used to connect the brake lines used in tractor trailers. Is it true? I don't know, but hope it is...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rusty fittings [ 4 Answers ]

How do you prevent rust on the outside of steel and iron fittings?. both on the shelf and once installed? Would it make sense to coat them with mineral oil? Is there some other trick? Thanks in advance, Paul in East Troy WI

Compression fittings not in far enough [ 1 Answers ]

I just fixed my old dishwasher line and I had to cut out a leak. I had enough copper tubing to just reroute the remaining tubing into the valve stop. However, it is an older house and the outside diameter of the tubing was a bit wider than what we use now. I got the nut on as far as I could and...

Polybutylene fittings [ 1 Answers ]

Can polybutylene fittings be replaced with pvc fittings. If so what type of pvc fittings can be used? Cpvc, schedule 40/80 etc ?

Sweating fittings [ 6 Answers ]

Removed ball valve from previously sweated fitting by heatintg it up. Cleaned ball valve and attempted to re-sweat new copper nipple to it. I cleaned it thoroughly, used flux, but could not get fitting to draw totally. Pin hole leak. Suggestions?

Curve fittings [ 1 Answers ]

I have curve and someone made an equation. OK, the questiones now are: 1-how can I think to make an equation? 2-what is the level of validity of this equation? thank u very much for helping

View more questions Search