Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjlamkin Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

May 29, 2006, 12:10 AM
    1995 Chevy Cavalier Computer
    I was wondering if there was a way to remove the computer from the car and still be able to keep the engine running. From what I understand the ingition module will be able to fire properly (I may have been misinformed), but will the fuel injection system be able to run without the computer?

This comes in light of the fact that this car was just given to me (the previous owners thought it was just the fuel filter and were going to junk it because it was rusted on). I hooked up a good battery and the lights and all worked, but when I tried to roll it over, it just clicked quick and all the lights went out. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, eveything works again until I try to roll it over. I suspect a major short and the electrical system is attempting to protect itself.

Thanks for any info you might have
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 29, 2006, 03:23 AM
    Are you sure that you have a good connection on the battery.
    This sounds like a bad connection

May 29, 2006, 04:28 PM
    I'll give it a shot again and double check the battery connections, but I am pretty sure it was a good connection when I tried. Will let you know what happens.

Jun 2, 2006, 01:10 AM
    Well, after installing a new battery wire and all, I was able to get the car to roll over... now for the daunting task of trying to figure out why it won't start... I've ruled out the engine not getting gas, by both smell and by removing the discharge line on the fuel filter and observing a nice strong flow.

Demonspeeding_2005,

Thanks for the tip on the battery... you have saved me hours of wasted time looking for a short somewhere.
    p12345678 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Do a check on your spark plugs... clean/replace the distributor cap... obviously its not your battery... you can hear by the clicking that its not your alternator and the fact it attempt to fire its not the starter...
    If the car you received it free chances are the vehicle has been sitting for a while... rust is never good!
    Chances are you fuel relay is hooped and the gas in the tank has sat way too long and turned to varsle and corroded your lines... image what the inside looks like, when there's rust on the outside of the line!
    It happened to me... I did the same... I fixed it
    Went to pick a part for what I could... and yea.. fixed..

Furthermore a fuel injection car cannot work with no comp.. common... its built that way...
    You can try to reset it if all fails which I doubt.. but get a mechanic buddy to help yea with that.. but ensure you reset it whe you know all the major components are perfect... or say goodbye to the car!
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 04:58 AM
    Yes, you need the computer... 100% absolutely.

It could be bad plugs and wires/boots; what size motor do you have in the car?
    It could also be a weak fuel pump. Just because you get gas doesn't mean that it's enough.

P.S. P, please stop slapping people with disagrees... you were way off even mentioning an alternator. That's part of the vehicle's charging system; it has nothing to do with starting.
    blaino88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 09:48 AM
    Well I am having the same problem with my 1995 cavalier. It has the 2.2 motor in it. We think it is the computer but not sure. The people we bought it from it just died on her driving it one day. And it turns over but not getting any fire. The coil packs are good and everything. Pretty sure the computer is shot. But if anyone knows anything else let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 chevy cavalier leaking head gasket need advice [ 6 Answers ]

My 1996 chevy cavalier is leaking around the head gasket its not really bad but it is noticeable will Bar's radiator stop leak help me? Will it hurt my motor? I'm afraid it could mix with the oil and cause damage what do you think? So far as I can tell it is only leaking from the outside of the...

Cavalier Noises [ 1 Answers ]

Some people I know are giving me a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier, I don't know if it's 2 or 4 door, VIN #, or miles on it. They tell me that it is driveable but makes a little clunk noise when first put in reverse, but once it starts moving the noise is gone. They think it's the CV boot. Can anyone...

1997 Chey Cavalier [ 82 Answers ]

Okay, I hope someone can help me with mycar problem. I have a 1997 Chevy Cavalier with about 157K miles on it. In Sept 2005 I had a new transmission put in. Well all was fine until about late May. It began this kind of "burping" feeling under the hood. It has had a tune up, new plug...

97 cavalier dash removal [ 0 Answers ]

I need help removeing the dash on my 97 cavalier, I got all the screws but one, the one right or the airbag, I can't find it, please help

Chevrolet Cavalier 2002 [ 2 Answers ]

All of a sudden, out of the blue, my car starts squeaking and creaking. Sounds like the front end is going to fall out. It is specifically when the tires go over a bump. Doesn't get worse when turning or pulling into my driveway. Does it need a lube? Is it the shocks? Is it the chassis? Help.

View more questions Search