Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krazykat77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Connecting laptop to desktop for internet
    I'm trying to connect my laptop to my desktop to use the internet through it. I have a new toshiba satellite, running system is vista. My Desktop is a hp, running system is xp. It says on my laptop I'm connected to local yet when I open a internet window it doesn't work?
    HELP!!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 07:38 PM

How are your PC's connected together?

Are you able to share folders and files between the 2?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Oct 13, 2008, 01:46 PM

You will need to answer Seahwk83 questions to start. Are the computers able to communicate with each other?

If you do not have a router for your home network, your desktop PC will have to be enabled for Internet Connection Sharing. In Windows XP, right-click on the My Network Places icon on your desktop and select Properties. Right-click your Local Area Network adapter that is connected to your Internet connection and select Properties. Go to the Advanced tab and select Internet Connection Sharing. The Learn More about section will provide more details for the setup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Connecting my laptop to the internet in the car [ 4 Answers ]

I have planned a five day trip and really prefer to have internet connection on my laptop to search about locations and help me guide my trip (I have a gps but Google earth and other things I can use on my laptop could be great help). I have thought of the at&t laptop connect card but I don't...

How do you use your desktop internet connection also with your laptop? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a desktop internet connection and I recently purchased a laptop. Can I use my desktop connection also with my laptop? If so, how?

Connecting my laptop to the internet using my desktop connection [ 3 Answers ]

Hello young folks, Here is my problem. I have a desktop computer with WIN ME just got broadban internet. Can I use my new laptop WIN Vista to connect to the internet using my desktop connection? I was told something about a router?

Connecting a GPS to Desktop Computer [ 1 Answers ]

How can I have my desktop computer communicate with my GPS? My computer is a Dell Dimension 8200 running windows XP version 5.1 with SP 1. My GPS is a Garmin eTrex Vista that needs to connect to the desktop to upload & download information from MapSource (v 4.07) software via a serial cable. ...

View more questions Search