Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sadielou Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 07:40 AM
    New modular home,200 amp,under ground condiut.
    We are putting in a mondular home for my daughter and soninlaw.We are going underground from our pole 450 ft to the home.The home has a propane furnace and a 2 ton heatpump (lenox).What size cable do we need and cooper or aluminium.I've been told to different cables so far.We are in British Columbia if that makes a difference for code.The home has a 200amp panel

Oct 11, 2008, 07:53 AM
    New modular home,200 amp,under ground condiut.
    We are putting in a mondular home for my daughter and soninlaw.We are going underground from our pole 450 ft to the home.The home has a propane furnace and a 2 ton heatpump (lenox).What size cable do we need and cooper or aluminium.I've been told to different cables so far.We are in British Columbia if that makes a difference for code.The home has a 200amp panel
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Your power company will have to tell you this.

What you are doing is NOT(!! ) a DIY project.

You will most likely have to have primary wire to a ground transformer and then secondary to the house because of the distance.

PLEASE calla couple of electricians to get some bids to have this done by a contractor.

Oct 11, 2008, 08:17 AM

Double post

Go here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ut-268159.html
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 11, 2008, 08:21 AM

We have just done a similar installation. Copper would be to expensive, so AL is the way to go. I would consult your local supplier of Elec. as they would not allow us to do the work, but had to hire an approved contactor and I believed he used # 6 or #4 wire

Oct 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilcathy67 View Post
    I believed he used # 6 or #4 wire
    I hope NOT for a 200 Amp service! :eek:

Oct 11, 2008, 11:07 AM

I had 2 quotes.I contractor said I could use AL. The EL contractor I used to wire our house said noway for AL because it was to far,450 ft to the modular copper only even though it way more money.He said he used his computer program to do the calculations.I just don't know who to trust.
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 11, 2008, 01:15 PM
    This was older southern home and it was only 100 amp, but they had me hire a contractor with a ditchwitch to bury the cable.

Oct 11, 2008, 01:55 PM
    The second guy I would not trust. From the little you just wrote it sounds like he needs some help with this stuff.

AL or CU has NO bearing on distance, other than the fact that AL would have to be larger than CU for a given amperage. Maybe he is figuring on upsizing the wire for the distance so he thinks the AL would be too large? I doubt it.

450' is a LONG way to go with secondary!

Oct 11, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Why not continue this here so there are not two of the same threads running:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ml#post1316403

Maybe a mod can lock this one.

Oct 11, 2008, 06:16 PM

We have 5 acres,so from our secondary to the site for the modular is 450 FT.Still the unanswered question is,what wire can be used with a heatpump and propane furnace 200 amp service on that distance? Hydro will heavy up the wire to our pole.So can AL be used,what size,or does it have be copper?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modular home [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a bathroom ceiling light to work with my existing fan, the opening in the ceilling is 7.5" x 7.5" and will the existing wiring to the fan be OK to power up the light

Can you negotiate price on a modular home? [ 1 Answers ]

This may seems silly, but does anyone know or have experience in negotiating pricing on a modular home design. This isn't your mamas double wide but rather a 2K+ sqft home. The builder has provided their price on the home and I wanted to know if there was wiggle room. Thanks!

Repossession of modular home from elderly person [ 3 Answers ]

What can a mortgage company do to an elderly person(95) for non-payment on her modular home, due to her having to be put into a nursing home, other than just repossessing the modular home. They are threatening to take her to court.

Opinion on buying a Modular Home [ 13 Answers ]

Hi there, What do you think about buying a modular as the first time home buyer? Will it deprecite the value, any advice, experience is welcome!:) Thank you!

Odor from well water in modular home [ 1 Answers ]

The home is 13 years old and has been kept immaculately clean by previous owner. After moving in 3 weeks ago I was so dismayed that the odor was so strong coming from the shower. Nothing has helped so far. I spray Febreze but that's pretty expensive. Any suggestions appreciated. Anne

View more questions Search