Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    invested_4 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 28, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Need answer by Monday 5-28-Desperate
    Your search for a local bank advertises the following deal: "pay us $100.00 dollars a year for 10 years and then we will pay you (or your beneficiaries) $100 a year forever." Is this a good deal if the interest rate available on other deposits is 6 percent? Did not match with any Web results.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 29, 2006, 08:20 AM
    The "$100 for life" thing is a ripoff.

$100 at 6% compounded once per year you have $1576 after 10 years... then after that - with no further investment - the interest per year is nearly $100 (6% of $1576 is $94)

So your totals:

Year 11 $1670 or $100
    Year 12 $1770 or $200
    Year 13 $1870 or $300
    etc...
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2006, 01:38 PM
    Actually, it is a good deal. Although at only $100, perhaps not.

After 10 years, the accumulated value is 1576 (according to rick). To then buy a perpetuity for 100 a year for life would cost you 1,666.66

So therefore, you are getting an annuity for a bit cheaper than it is worth.

Calculation of a Perpetuity
    PV = Amount / Interest
    PV = 100 / 0.06
    PV = 1,666.66
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Hi,
    This sounds like the old "Christmas Club" many banks advertise, or use to. You put in a little, get paid little or no interest, and don't really make anything on your investment!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A cat in desperate need of help [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 years old cat, male, 3.7 Kg, and his mother persian bread. 4 Days ago he startes to vomit every half hour, vomiting acompanied by Diarrhea. Every time vomit was yellow at first with a mucus then a white Foam. There were no signs of blood. The diarrhea was also frequent (45 Min -...

Desperate Help With Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

HI, My 2 almost five year old bichon frises REALLY need training. We brought them to training when they were little and then my parents ended that and now they have bad habits and do things on their own, and they have no disipline AT ALL. I have tried to do what I can, but it's really...

Desperate for an answer [ 2 Answers ]

:( A family member is ill I would like to know if they will make it through this new year. My husband has a heavy heart over his job, do you see any changes there? A friend is in real crisis any ideas of what may happen with that. Thank You. :confused:

View more questions Search