Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rzepka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Tennis serve
    Hi
    I need help figuring out the set up of this problem.
    Jane has 2 tennis serves, a hard serve and a soft serve, her hard serve is good 50% of the time and her soft serve is good 75% of the time. I f her hard serve is in she wims 75% of her points. If her soft serve is in she wins 50% of her points. Since she is allowed to reserve one time if her first serve is out. What should her serving strategy be. That is, should she serve a hard followed by a soft; both hard; soft followed by hard or both soft.

I know that if the first serve is in you play out the point
    If the first serve is out you get a second serve
    I the second serve is out you lose rhe point
    I can't figure out how to set up the problem?
    garcon81 Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Oct 10, 2008, 08:33 AM

You need to think about it in terms of possible outcomes. For example, suppose she starts with a hard serve. For the first serve, there's a 1/2 chance that she hits the serve. If she hits it, there's a 3/4 chance that she wins (or 1/2 * 3/4 chance that she'll win the serve that way) and 1/4 chance she loses (1/2 * 1/4). If she misses the first serve (already a factor of 1/2 in probability now), then she serves hard again.

Now she has a chance of 1/2 to hit the second serve, and a chance of 3/4 to win if she does. So for the second serve, the probability of winning is 1/2 * 1/2 * 3/4 (prob. That she missed the first serve * prob. That she hits the second one * prob. That she wins it), and a chance 1/2*1/2*1/4 of losing the second serve if she hits it, and a chance 1/2*1/2 of missing both hard serves.

If you add up all those possibilities (3/8 + 1/8 + 3/16 + 1/16 + 1/4), they add up to 1, which tells you that you have all the possibilities covered - one of those outcomes will happen, and the probability that it wills given by the fraction. So to find out the chance of winning, you'd add all the wins up (winning the first serve or winning the second serve).

Then you have 3 other serving situations to consider - hard then soft, soft then hard, and soft/soft. For each set, you'll get a fraction for the total probability that she'll win the point - whichever one's highest is the option to go with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Questions for Tennis Gurus :) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I need some help from a tennis guru. See, I'm taking an online tennis course and we get 40 assignment questions to do, and I've done most of them, but these two: I really just don't get. If, when serving into the right service court on the SECOND serve, the ball hits within the service...

Tennis Ball Obsession [ 3 Answers ]

I have a female yellow lab who will be five in November. She is utterly OBSESSED with tennis balls (any ball, really, but mostly tennis balls). We did not encourage ball play when she was a puppy, she's always been this way. I'd like to know if there is any way to break or reduce this obsession....

Tennis Anyone? [ 31 Answers ]

Take a break from posting. You must keep the ball up in the air. My highest score is 4:mad: http://tinyurl.com/a3pe8

Tennis [ 1 Answers ]

What are the official dimensinons of the tennis court

View more questions Search