Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JEP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Biological Father
    When I was in my early 20's my biological mother told me that the person I had called Dad for all those years was not actually my biological father but my adoptive Dad!

I am now in my 60's and I guess my biological father would be in his 80's, but I am really feeling the need to find out who he is.

My Mum only told me his name and that he was a 'one night stand' so I have no more information on him. I now have my original birth certificate, but it is 'father unknown' on that which is not helpful.

I have no idea how to go about finding him or indeed, with so little information, whether it would actually be possible to achieve.

Are there any suggestions PLEASE?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 04:28 AM

Since you have little information it will make finding him harder. If you have a name you can use people search engines, some are free some isn't, or put out a lot of cash hiring a private eye. If you have a name you can post it along with any other information.

Also, sometimes you open doors that you shouldn't open. I understand you want to find your dad but you might not find him. If you do the runion can be good or bad. I hope your adoptive father was good to you and he must had care for you a lot to step up and become your dad. Again, I can understand your need to get to know your dad but weight all your options before hand.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JEP View Post
    When I was in my early 20's my biological mother told me that the person I had called Dad for all those years was not actually my biological father but my adoptive Dad!

I am now in my 60's and I guess my biological father would be in his 80's, but I am really feeling the need to find out who he is.

My Mum only told me his name and that he was a 'one night stand' so I have no more information on him. I now have my original birth certificate, but it is 'father unknown' on that which is not helpful.

I have no idea how to go about finding him or indeed, with so little information, whether it would actually be possible to achieve.

Are there any suggestions PLEASE?

It IS possible with just his name. Do you have any idea where he might be, a general idea? Some of the looking involves cross referencing names and voter registrations, census info, that type of thing, and can be quite complicated.

On other occasions it's very easy, using on line resources. Be very careful which sites you use. Some are fronts and the next thing you know you have gremlins in your computer. Others are very incomplete and/or not updated regularly.

You can always hire an LPI (Licensed Private Investigator) - they have professional access to databases which are otherwise locked. If you go that route ask about the charge, hourly, per case? as well as disbursements and other charges/fees. Locating people now is a big legal issue due to several stalking incidents following the receipt of the info so the LPI will probably ask you for a letter authorizing the search, stating the reason.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biological Father [ 3 Answers ]

I have been thinking about this for the past two years, hoping to never be rash about such a serious decision. After a long and painful thought process I have decided to go ahead with finding out who my biological father is. I'm not sure how interested I am in meeting him but I do feel that there...

Can a father loose custidy if his not the biological father? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a 5 year old with son with a girl he had a thing with. She loved him and therefor she got pregnant and told him the child was his. She put him trough the ringer cause she wanted to be with and she realized he was never going to be with her she signed her rights to the child away. Her...

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

My Biological Father [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find my biological father... all I know is his name is Thomas Anthony Snowden and he lives in Maryland somewhere, he also has a son named after him. That's pretty much all I know. I don't know what website to go to actually look for him because they keep asking for so much money... if...

View more questions Search