Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Christianity and Other Religions
    Are there any Christian sects that believe other religions offer ways to salvation? I understand that the Christian fundamentalists would say no, but what about the main stream Christian sects?
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Oct 9, 2008, 11:02 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking, but,

Jhn 10:7 Jesus therefore said unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

And,

Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

And,

Jhn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Therefore there's exclusivity when it comes to salvation, because jesus is the only acceptable sacrifice.
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2008, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cogs View Post
    i'm not sure what you're asking, but,

Jhn 10:7 Jesus therefore said unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

and,

Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

and,

Jhn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

therefore there's exclusivity when it comes to salvation, because jesus is the only acceptable sacrifice.

What I meant was can Hindus, say, achieve salvation through their own understanding of God. Or Buddhists. Or atheists (non-God). Or whatever.

Thank you for your answer. I'm a little surprised that you defend it internally, so to speak, from your sects writings. I suspect a Buddhist could equally defend his position from his sacred writings. Or a Hindu. Or any other religionist.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 12:28 AM

Back in the days when I was young and mastodons roamed the earth, we Americans were all pretty separate--definitely from foreign countries (one had to be fairly wealthy to travel overseas, or at least it wasn't something just anyone did) and even by states. Without interstate highways, traveling across country took days. Communication wasn't that great either. If there was a plane crash in California, most of the nation didn't know about it until the next morning's newspaper came out.

All that is different now. People of all ages and income levels travel to all sorts of places, and communication is instantaneous. As a kid, I had never met or even heard of or seen a Muslim or a Hindu or a Jew or even an atheist except as words on a page or a picture in a book. Our community was German Lutheran and pretty much revolved around itself. Now that community is ten times larger and is home to Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and even atheists.

The U.S. for example, has become much more wide open about religion because of travel and communication. What used to be fearful (Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and atheists) because they were unknown and because Christian communities didn't want to know them have become the ordinary. Coworkers, neighbors, retail clerks, fellow shoppers and so on are now those Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and atheists. Because of that, we in general are much more open minded and accepting because they are no longer photos in a book or people who live somewhere else, but have become part of us and are accepted into our everyday lives.

So, in answer to your question, yes, I believe mainstream Christianity, in welcoming people from other religions or not-religion into their communities, has acknowledged and even accepted that there are truths in other belief systems.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    What I meant was can Hindus, say, achieve salvation through their own understanding of God. Or Buddhists. Or atheists (non-God). Or whatever.
    That's a different question from the one you originally asked.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That's a different question from the one you originally asked.
    It was a reply to a reply. Surely that is allowed here. Isn't that the point of dialogue?
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 12:41 AM
    Back in the days when I was young and mastodons roamed the earth, we Americans were all pretty separate--definitely from foreign countries (one had to be fairly wealthy to travel overseas, or at least it wasn't something just anyone did) and even by states. Without interstate highways, traveling across country took days. Communication wasn't that great either. If there was a plane crash in California, most of the nation didn't know about it until the next morning's newspaper came out.

All that is different now. People of all ages and income levels travel to all sorts of places, and communication is instantaneous. As a kid, I had never met or even heard of or seen a Muslim or a Hindu or a Jew or even an atheist except as words on a page or a picture in a book. Our community was German Lutheran and pretty much revolved around itself. Now that community is ten times larger and is home to Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and even atheists.

The U.S., for example, has become much more wide open about religion because of travel and communication. What used to be fearful (Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and atheists) because they were unknown and because Christian communities didn't want to know them have become the ordinary. Coworkers, neighbors, retail clerks, fellow shoppers and so on are now those Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and atheists. Because of that, we in general are much more open minded and accepting because they are no longer photos in a book or people who live somewhere else, but have become part of us and are accepted into our everyday lives.

So, in answer to your question, yes, I believe mainstream Christianity, in welcoming people from other religions or not-religion into their communities, has acknowledged and even accepted that there are truths in other belief systems.
    Nicely done, but do your "truths" equal salvation in the Christian sense? Are their truths as good as your truths?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 12:58 AM
    Nicely done, but do your "truths" equal salvation in the Christian sense? Are their truths as good as your truths?
    Yes, I believe it has come around to that. Maybe it's because I live in a quite cosmopolitan area. If I still lived in that formerly German Lutheran village, I might still be pretty closed-minded. Many of the residents there still have only high school educations and don't read books and hang out only with others like themselves. I've found that, the more educated and the more well-read one is and the more he hangs out with those unlike himself, the more open-minded he becomes. Truth becomes fuzzier, blurred. My truth is only that, my truth, and is no better or worse than his truth.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Oct 10, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Regarding salvation, you would have to ask from what is one saved? Are the people in the other religions being saved from the same things? I think the answer is yes; our faults are all the same in humanity.
    Thank you for your answer. I'm a little surprised that you defend it internally, so to speak, from your sects writings. I suspect a Buddhist could equally defend his position from his sacred writings. Or a Hindu. Or any other religionist.
    They would have to deny the jesus from scripture. Surely, they all respect a god, and that god may even be the same god each worships, just in their own viewpoint.
    However, if there's only one god, that god would have only one way to salvation. All religions cannot be right about their idea of sanctification, such as reincarnation, or good deeds, or whatever. Chaos is not what god is about. God is order.
    So my answer is still that different religions do not have a common path to salvation, or much less, sanctification.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
    It was a reply to a reply. Surely that is allowed here. Isn't that the point of dialogue?
    You replied by saying, "What I meant was...." and not a reply to a reply.
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Oct 10, 2008, 03:08 PM
    If any person is depending on a different God than the Father of Jesus the Christ, they will have to:

Follow completely the rules of that god... and then

Be dependent on THAT god to save them.

NOTE: no other God even promises salvation as a gift because of His love, but all other religions require that you earn your salvation by following all the rules.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 03:40 PM

Because of the Bible scripture, Christians would not accept that any religion but their own is the right one.

I do not believe that death is an ending. Therefore, I have nothing to be saved from because there is all the time needed to figure it out. Therefore all religions are "right" and no one is "wrong." With that out of the way we can ask, and answer, the question: "what are we doing here?"

The answer is being. That's all we have to do. Whether we strive to become the way, the truth and the life, or not, does not matter. There are two emotions, and only two as the rest are born from these two. Love or fear. Which do You choose?
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 04:19 PM

Athos... you asked a direct question regarding the Christian faith. Why wouldn't someone answer you with quotes from the writings of that religion?

You are asking if there are any Christian sects that believe that salvation is offered in any other religion.

The answer is yes. All Christians believe salvation comes through accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior.

There are other religions that also believe this... Catholics, certain Jewish sects, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and probably some more...

Granted, some Christians will probably contest that but realistically, they still believe that Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior so...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle View Post
    There are other religions that also believe this...Catholics
    When did Catholicism become part of "other religions"? It has always been Christian.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 04:39 PM
    When did Catholicism become part of "other religions"? It has always been Christian.
    My apologies. I would like to strike that from the record.

Momentary lapse in brain waves... it's late Friday :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 04:56 PM
    My apologies. I would like to strike that from the record.

Momentary lapse in brain waves... it's late Friday :)
    It's almost 7 p.m. here in Chicagoland, and you're in California (almost 5 p.m.). It's late Friday?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 05:49 PM

With the exceptions of some fringe groups that most christians do not view as christian ( some of the unity churches that accept any faith)

But in general the teachings of christianity, teach that there is only salvation in that faith. So if you are really christian you can not accept any other way
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 05:57 PM
    It's almost 7 p.m. here in Chicagoland, and you're in California (almost 5 p.m.). It's late Friday?
    After the Thursday night I had... it was late before I showed up to work today.

I know what a Catholic is... I understand that Catholics are Christians, too... I meant no disrespect. I just didn't think that post through... I should have phrased it differently. I apologize.

I was raised Protestant Christian and, by default, have always just viewed Catholicism as a different "religion"... even though I know better.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 06:00 PM
    After the Thursday night I had... it was late before I showed up to work today.

I know what a Catholic is... I understand that Catholics are Christians, too... I meant no disrespect. I just didn't think that post through... I should have phrased it differently. I apologize.

I was raised Protestant Christian and, by default, have always just viewed Catholicism as a different "religion"... even though I know better.
    I'm Lutheran, so no problem. I just get riled when posters here speak of Christians and Catholics, like Catholics are some other breed.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 06:04 PM

I just don't see how a CHRISTIAN could ever think so... not a real one anyway! If you follow Christ then you have to believe his words... John 14:6... if you read the verse he point blank says... ain't NO ONE going to get to the Father except through ME. ( my wording of course but that is what he says)

But I think there is so much watering down of the truth I feel certain you can find so called believers you think you can. In fact, I have talked to them on this forum... so I KNOW it. It sounds good doesn't it?. very spirtual and Open minded, tolerant, progresive.. but it is so wrong!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do most, if not all, religions think they are right? [ 27 Answers ]

Believe in Jesus and you will be saved... what about all the people with the other beliefs? They can't go to Heaven? What if there were cultures in this world that never got the message about Jesus or Mohammed, etc. Why do most people in these faiths want to try and convince you that they are...

Different religions [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I'm Christian, but the boy I like is mormon and his whole family is jewish (dont know how that works) so there's nothing wrong with that right?

We are 2 different Religions! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Leesand, I am a sophomore at college. I have known my boyfriend for a while, and we became really good friends when he was a senior in high school, and I a freshmen in college. Well we started dating in October, so its been 7 months. We both love each other but there is one...

Eastern Religions [ 4 Answers ]

Could someone please help me by answering this question. What are the historical events and figures for Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and daoism?

View more questions Search