Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    califaschia Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 07:31 PM
    California, property lien on credit card debt?
    I've not been able to pay the minimum payments on my credit cards in a year. The debt collectors are calling to tell me that they are going to put a lien on my home to sue for payment is this possible in the state of CALIFORNIA?
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Oct 10, 2008, 03:06 PM

Yes, as I understand it, only If they receive a judgment against you in the case. They can and do, at times, place liens against property. The lien can be used to order a forced sale , although this rarely happens. Some states have laws against forced sale of the primary residence, all states have exemptions which usually can protect the property from sale. The usual method of collection is garnishment of wages or levying of bank accounts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 06:08 PM

Collection people who call will threaten any and everything if they believe they can push the right button. They will tell you that police are on the way to arrest you, that the tow truck is on the way to get your car and more.

Now can they, yes I believe they can put a lien on your home, but they don't want a lien they want money,

Before they can do anything, they will have to take you to court and get a judgement
    Debtreliever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2010, 05:27 AM
    I work in Debt settlement. California can lien in certain circumstances. First when you get served and don't respond they will file a default judgment. A defaulkt judgment is easily avoided by responded to the summons you get served in the allotted time limit (20-30 days is standard). If you respond to this summons in a legally qualifying way you will then be given a court date. Remember not to admit to the debt in your response or else they will put default judgment on you. Go to the court date tell the judge you situation, keep in mind the judge has a job to set up a stipulated agreement that will be able to be satisfied on your part. So as long as you go to court they won't garnish or lien you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When can a credit card company place a lien on my property and what does that mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. To make a complicated story short, I refinanced my house last year to keep it because me and my ex were getting a divorce and to get his name off the deed. I just found out recently that the title company did not have us sign the right deed at the time and I needed it corrected. So I finally...

Can your house have a lien for $3000 credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

They are saying I owe 3000 on a credit card that was paid I dispute it, can they put a lien on my house

A Lien placed on a Property for credit card debit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello A collection agency for an old credit card debt is trying to place a lien on a home that I am a co-signer for. The house belongs to my father ,but I was a co-signer so my father can get the mortgage and I do not live in the house and I do not pay any bills on the house. I am wondering if they...

Can credit card companies put a lien on my property? [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently retired, my husband got almost half of my nys teacher benefits from a quadro... (got nothing from him 'cause he didn't have anything) can't pay credit cards any longer... believe I am judgement proof... can a lien be put on my house... I don't have a mortgage and pay all my taxes

Property lien for credit card- [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My sister had a judgement against her for a fashio bug card. It went to court, she didn't show and they won by default. They placed a lien against her house. She lost her house in hurricane Ivan. Now she is getting letters wanting them to settle this. Is the lien still against her...

View more questions Search