Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rachelm1123 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 9, 2008, 10:20 AM
    A weird conversation with my dad.
    This is really strange, I know... I just got off the phone with my dad who is traveling with my mom from VA to NY leaving today, getting back on Columbus Day. He just called to tell me they were leaving, and then said the weirdest thing... he said "I've already told your brother and sister this, if something happens to your mom and I, everything is to be split equally three ways, I don't want any bickering." He had never said anything like this before when going away for a few days, or at any other time, really. So I started asking him what he meant by that, and other questions, as I was really disturbed by that comment. He didn't really give me any kind of peace of mind, just basically repeated what he had said. So my question is, what is the deal with saying that? Why in the hell would he say that just pretty much out of the blue? Does he know something that no one else knows? Did he have a dream or a vision or something? I'm not getting it...
    Or should I not be worried or concerned?:confused:
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 9, 2008, 10:52 AM

I have said the same thing to my children. Its reality that someday or way we, as parents will die and as children you should be ready for it and have a plan. I do not agree with your Dad. Have a will and spell out who get what. Children will fight over stuff and w awill will settle who gets what. Because my father did not have a will I have not spoke to my brother in 30 years. Learn from my mistakes
    Scared gota dui Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 02:57 PM

I think you're father is smart because not saying it will happen, but it might because that's life. One of the most common ways families become estranged later in life involves their parents will and how the possessions will be divided. So you won't end up like my mom and her siblings
    stevie04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 11:07 AM

Hi this is stevie04 and I think that you should ring your dad and ask what he means and if he won't tell you don't back down get it out of him and if he hangs up ring him again and again! I hope this helps!!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 02:29 PM

You are probably making a mountain out of a mole hill and maybe he just heard of a dispute in a family he knows and it reminded him that he needed to tell you that.
    As we get older we talk about this stuff a lot more freely. The real problem folks are the ones who don't think realistically about death.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 02:43 PM

FWIW my cousin was going a trip where all the family members were going and he told me that I was in his will in case anything happened to the family. They were traveling by air and for an extended period.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 02:50 PM

Yes, and spouses can't rely on telling one another what they want done, the spouse may be wiped out in the same mishap. Good wills and POA's can solve most of these problems but it is also good to let others know that they should maybe ask some questions about the will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conversation with guys [ 9 Answers ]

How do I just go up to a guy and start talking? I'm shy and not really sure how to start a conversation.

Telephone conversation [ 5 Answers ]

How to cool down an angry customers. Please list me down the full conversation

What does our conversation mean? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 years and I broke up with him 3 years ago because I was insecure. We went a year without speaking and over two years without seeing each other. Since then I have seen him a few times (lunch, hang out) usually his idea. Last week he called and asked if I wanted to go to...

Conversation with a girl you like [ 1 Answers ]

What can I talk about with a girl in my class in school?

Simple conversation [ 5 Answers ]

I SUCK AT IT! Unless there is a topic (silly or serious) I have a hard time holding a conversation. An example is when somebody comes and sits by me while I'm eating breakfast and says "what's up?". They don't always want a conversation but when they do what do I say other than "nothing, how did...

View more questions Search