Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaylakayles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Is it safe to mix vicoden with ibuprohen or tylenol woth codiene?
    I got my wisdom tooth removed and the pain is massive! Now when I first went to the denstist when the tooth was infected they prescribed some vicodin and I have left overs... Afer I got it removed they prescribed tylenol with codiene and said to take ibuprophen with it if it wasn't enough for the pain... and noooo it definitely wasn't enough for the pain so I was was wondering if I would be able to mix the vicodin with ibuprohen or the tylenol with codiene with the vicodin?
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2008, 10:17 AM

I don't think its safe to mix vicodin with anything - but talk to your pharmacist or doctor. They would know.
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Oct 11, 2008, 10:36 PM

You can take vicodin with like advil but
    Not with any other narcotic probably won't do anything but do you really want to take that chance if it hurts that much see if your dentist has a answering service or call the hospital and see if they can get ahold of him for you...

Just don't take any unneed chances.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kaylakayles View Post
    i jus got my wisdom tooth removed and the pain is massive!! Now when i first went to the denstist when the tooth was infected they prescribed some vicodin and i have left overs...Afer i got it removed they prescribed tylenol with codiene and said to take ibuprophen with it if it wasn't enough for the pain...and noooo it definitely wasn't enough for the pain so i was was wondering if i would be able to mix the vicodin with ibuprohen or the tylenol with codiene with the vicodin??

I'd check with my Pharmacist but Vicodin contains an opiate (hydrocodone) and Tylenol (acetaminophen). If you take Vicodin and Tylenol together you are getting a double dose of acetaminophen, dangerous to your liver.

Ibuprofen is a NSAID - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs a completely different type/class of drugs.

And don't mix codeine and Vicodin.

You can always call your Pharmacist.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 07:52 AM

Have you tried numbing tooth gels such as Anbesol?
    Anbesol liquid

When my wisdom teeth were bothering me they really helped- and you don't have to worry about overdosing with them.

Because these are all american brand names I can't say for certain what is in each.

If any of them have acetominophen in the ingredients list you cannot mix them with others with this ingredient or you will damage your liver. JudyKay already covered that but you can't really say it enough.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane View Post
    Have you tried numbing tooth gels such as Anbesol?
    Anbesol liquid

When my wisdom teeth were bothering me they really helped- and you don't have to worry about overdosing with them.

Because these are all american brand names I can't say for certain what is in each.

If any of them have acetominophen in the ingredients list you cannot mix them with others with this ingredient or you will damage your liver. JudyKay aready covered that but you can't really say it enough.

I'd put in one small PS to this - when you first use anbesol use a little bit and see if you have an allergic reaction. A certain percentage of people do, however small.

You also have to be moderate with the extent and the time frame of its use as it can cause blood problems over longer than a 7 day period.

It's one of those over the counter medications that isn't 100% safe for everyone.
    jamerp1970 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 04:09 PM

Use the vicodin with the ibuprofen. Vicodin is tylenol mixed with a narcotic, and ibuprofen is an anti inflamatory. They work well together but ibuprofen can be rough in your stomach. You could also take the tylenol with codeine with the ibuprofen. Do not take the tylenol and codeine with the vicodin it is too much tylenol and you are mixing two different narcotics which could be dangerous. Honestly the ibuprofen will probably work the best it is often given at 600 or 800 mg doses as an rx. FYI ibuprofen, advil and motrin are the same thing.
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Oct 14, 2008, 08:52 PM

Vicodin has tylenol (acetominophen) in it already.
    puddin7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2011, 08:47 PM
    Taking the vicoden with tylenol 3 will make you very tired and dizzy. It will calm the pain but also mess with your organs. Since vicoden has tylenol in it, you're really taking a dose in a half.
    puddin7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2011, 08:51 PM
    Too much narcotics or taking them to close will cause your heart to race and adding another pain med can cause damage to you organs.
    nancydchil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 11:43 PM
    Take 600 mg (3 over-the-counter tablets) of ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) every 6-8 hours. If you have pain that is not alleviated by ibuprophen, take Vicodin in addition to the ibuprophen. You may take ibuprofen and Vicodin at the same time, because they work differently. These dosages apply to healthy average-sized adults.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2012, 06:33 AM
    This was asked in 2008 and the OP never came back. Tht dosage over a period can damage your liver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oxycontin and vicoden w/d's, different or the same [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I hope someone can help with my question. I recently switched from vicoden to oxycontin. The first part of my question is will the withdrawals pretty much be the same from vicoden and oxycontin or will they be different? Secondly, what are the withdrawals of oxycontin? I stopped for...

Half a vicoden on Monday [ 7 Answers ]

I took half a vicoden on Monday, I never take drugs, I had a headache and a friend suggested I take half. I have a test Wednesday. Am I safe? Will it show up? I need a reply, please help!

Codiene and Oxycodone [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if it is safe to use codiene in my couch syrup. Because I got a script for Tylox and have been scared to take them together or separate either. Could you please tell me if it is safe because I need both medications. I am just scared of medicine but I have just gotten over...

What do vicoden look like? [ 2 Answers ]

Are vicoden plain?

View more questions Search