Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hommegrenouille Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Fill large hole in foundation wall
    I have a rather sizeable hole at the top of my foundation (just below the sill plate) where the vent and fill pipes for an oil tank used to pass through. It's about 6 inches wide and 4 inches tall. The guy who removed them really chipped away at the wall to get them out.

Anyway, now I need to figure out how to fill this hole. The only way I can think of doing it is to create a form. I figure I'll block the inside end of the hole with plywood, and do the same on the outside, leaving just enough room at the top to pour in the concrete. This would, however, still leave a gap at the top.

Anyone ever done this before? What type of concrete should I use?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 10:19 AM

The hole should be totally covered from one side like you described. The other side I'd cover with 3-4 thin strips of lath of dimensional lumber adding a new board as you fill the cavity. The last board can be tilted out so you can add the last bit of hydrolic cement and push in to compress.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 07:58 PM

Cover one side of hole. Cut a piece of plywood as in A. Nail on 2x4 as in B. Cover with adidional plywood as in C.
    Tack assembly to wall or prop in place with stakes. Top of assembly should be above top of hole. Mix concrete "loose" or wet so that it flows freely. After filling hole with concrete, adigitate concrete with small stick or rod to make sure that it fills all the crevices.

Let dry for an hour or two. When concrete has firmed up enough to hold its shape remove form and cut off excess concrete with trowel. Moisten surface slightly and smooth with trowel.
    Attached Images

hommegrenouille Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Thanks, Harold! Amazing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to repair large hole in tree trunck [ 2 Answers ]

How do I repair a large hole in an Oak tree trunk? Do I fill it with something or just leave nature to heal its self? I would hate to lose the tree. It appears to be have been done by a woodpecker. A very large, deep hole about 6 inches tall by 3 wide. About 8 foot off the ground. Thanks...

How to I fill a hole in my yard? [ 2 Answers ]

The previous owners of my house started building a pool. However they never completed it and now I am sitting with the hole in my yard. :( Luckly it is not that deep. :) I think filling it with sand will do, but I don't know what kind of sand will do or if that is the right thing to...

Inground Pool Liner- Large Hole Repair [ 3 Answers ]

When opening our 9 year old inground pool this year, we found a large horizontal tear in one corner of the deep end. The tear is about 3-4 feet wide. Can we repair this tear rather than investing in the purchase and installation of a new liner? I am envisioning something like a 4-by-4 foot sheet...

Fill hole in slab? Dap out? [ 17 Answers ]

We have a new house in the Northern Midwest, and underneath a bathtup in the basement a 15 inch square hole has been punched into the slab to allow the drain to exist. I've learned this is a Dap Out. It is currently exposed earth, and the nearest outside wall to this hole is at least 10 feet away....

View more questions Search