Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marines81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Insulate in metal studs
    I studded the outside walls in my attached house. Would I use duct tape to hold the insulation to the metal studs before rock?
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 9, 2008, 10:08 PM
    You might try "unfaced" batts, they have no paper facing. They are cut just a little wider so they stick between the studs without falling out.

If you want or need a vapor barrier, after the insulation is in, you can apply plastic over the studs, held on with a thin bead on const adhesive, and a row of self tapping screws along the top, just hold it up.

Good luck

Roger
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 08:28 AM

I have used 'Spray tack' adhesive to hold the insulation in place

Faced paper has the extra lip around the edges and by spraying the edges and the studs, giving them a few seconds to tack-dry, then applying them together has more than done the job.

Hope this helps,

KBC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal or wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Which is better in building a house wood or metal studs in the basement?

Protecting cable in metal studs [ 2 Answers ]

What do I use to protect cable running through metal studs (residential if it makes a diffrence) and what do I use to attach it to the studs to secure it?

Metal studs vs. Wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Can metal studs be used in a basement setting where there is no water problem?

Framing with metal studs. [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to build a wall with 2 door openings using metal studs. How do you frame for the door openings? Is it necessary to use wood in the opening? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Using Wood Studs with Metal Studs [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a guest room and bath in my basement. The currect wall studs are metal. I have never worked with metal stud before therefore I am wondering if I should continue with metal or can I use wood as well. The current studs look like they are 24 oc. I have to frame in a...

View more questions Search