Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chameleon24 Posts: 70, Reputation: 7

Oct 8, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Confused feelings about a guy friend
    I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question. I'm probably just overthinking things, but I figured I'd mention it on here anyway to see what comes up.

I met this guy about a month ago over a dating website. We're both the same age and lived by each other so he contacted me and we decided to hang out one night. Since then I've been seeing him a lot. Sometimes we watch movies or go out to eat somewhere and just hang out pretty much. We text every day about just random stuff. We have a lot of the same interests, so we could talk for hours. So I guess I'd call him a new friend of mine. But then of course about a week ago I started getting these feelings that maybe I was starting to like him. But I can't figure it out. Am I just thinking this way because I've been spending a lot of time with him or could I be attracted to him? It's hard for me to read. And I've also been bothering my mind with questions like: does he find me attractive? Or does he see me as someone cool to hang out with?
    It just sort of bothers me for some reason. But I think it's all about me not being able to understand what my feelings mean. If that makes any sense. Like I said, I'm probably just overthinking things.
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 08:19 PM

You are starting to like him that's why you are curious what's going on his mind and his "whatabouts". You won't know unless you ask. Since you are his new "friend" say

"If we're going out, doesn't that bother to your GF?"
    "I want to ask your opnion....I want to date "this" guy, do you think he will find me as cool?attractive?"
    hannah_nicole Posts: 163, Reputation: 13

Oct 8, 2008, 08:46 PM
    I think, if you really do start to like him and want to become more exclusive, you should ask him how he views you - as just a friend or something more? As for you being unsure if you like him ask yourself, do you find him attractive? If you think about kissing him is it a good or bad thought? Does it make you jealous to think of him as another girls boyfriend?

Oct 8, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Well, I know he doesn't have a girlfriend. We actually tend to talk about our ex's a lot. I don't know, I'm just scared that if I mention something about it things might become weird. Even if I disguise the questions, I might just over analyze the answers. I'm not even sure what I want... continue hanging out as friends or give dating a shot.
    Another big thing I should mention. I'm actually going to be moving away in a couple weeks. It's out of the state, about two hours away. It's for school, so I'll be back home for holidays and some weekends. But I was thinking maybe that had to do with it too. We both know I'll be leaving so neither of us our trying anything?

Oct 8, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah_nicole View Post
    I think, if you really do start to like him and want to become more exclusive, you should ask him how he views you - as just a friend or something more? As for you being unsure if you like him ask yourself, do you find him attractive? If you think about kissing him is it a good or bad thought? Does it make you jealous to think of him as another girls boyfriend?

Lol, well... I do find him kind of attractive. And yes I've thought about making out with him. And I think I would get jealous if he started going out with someone.

But then I ask myself... would I want him as a boyfriend? Do I even want a boyfriend at this time? I'm not sure how to answer those.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 08:52 PM
    You said you met on a dating website, which implies that you are both looking for someone to have a relationship with. Obviously you have a lot in common and enjoy each others' company. Take a risk and tell him how you feel. If he is really your friend it will be OK.
    thadevilsadvocate Posts: 122, Reputation: 62

Oct 8, 2008, 09:49 PM

I think that you're your feelings of liking him could be very true, and I think that talking to him would be a good idea. However, it is a little concerning that you are going to be moving out of the area. Granted, its only a couple hours, but still, two ways, that is twice as many hours. Sure, anyone that wants to be in a relationship should be willing to make that sacrifice if their feelings are real for the other person, however, you are still getting to know all about each other, and I think you should wait until a month or so after the move, and see how things go with the two of you until then. You don't want to start something and then move and let stress or tension, or even the distance begin to cause problems. The fact that you are hanging out as friends, and getting to know each other is great and that is the beginning of a solid foundation of something that could potentially last a long time, if that is something that you wanted. However, give yourself some time to adjust to your new area, and see how you settle with the distance. If he is still interested, he'll still be around, and if he goes somewhere, then you can be for sure that he was not going to make that 4 hr round trip very often for you. This is a great opportunity for you, as you are able to see the kind of effort and commitment he is willing to make, before you have to make any decisions. So keep on keeping on, like you are now, and take it one day at a time.
    nicola89 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Oct 9, 2008, 06:23 AM

I think you should try things out see what happens. If you had been friends for a long time it would off been different but you haven't .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Nothing wrong with having feelings, and the thoughts your having, but a month is way to soon to be acting on them. Have fun getting to know each other, and see if those feelings are still the same in say... 6/7 MONTHS.

Then you can decide if this goes further than just hanging out, or not. What's the rush to jump into something with someone you just met??

Oct 10, 2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I'm going to wait and see what happens to the friendship after the move then see if my feelings stay the same way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have feelings for my friend! [ 4 Answers ]

I have talked to this girl named Haylei since school started. We talked but I never seen us more than that, until recently. I had a girlfriend named Lisa Marie. We were dating when I started gaining feelings for Haylei. The feelings have become so strong that I couldn't take the guilt and...

My feelings are so confused [ 3 Answers ]

I was going out with this 26 yr old married man with 2 little kids but his wife found out and left him but there still living together and I love him so much but I told him I can't do this anymore and he was OK with it but after I told him that I can't do this anymore because it doesn't feel rite...

I have feelings for my friend, but he doesn't know. [ 4 Answers ]

I have been developing feelings for my friend for quite some time, but he still doesn't know about them. How can I let him know without ruining our friendship if he doesn't feel the same way towards me?

Confused about feelings. [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend now for 3 years and I love him but I have just started a new job and there is this really nice guy there, I look forward to going in just to see him and I can't help but think about him all the time, I also know that he likes me and know I am confused about how I am...

Confused about my feelings [ 11 Answers ]

I got married very young to my first boyfriend (no children involved here). He was my first for everything. After about 2 years into the marriage I lost all interest in being intimate with him. I never wanted it but gave it up because he would bother me so much. In the last 10 years he hasn't...

View more questions Search