Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chewyforo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 07:13 PM
    401 k education withdrawal
    We have $20,000 in education cost in 2008 and a loss on our personal business. We are considering withdrawing the $20k or more to pay off the house. IF we withdraw more than $20k we will have to pay the 10% penility on that amount but with the business loss we would not be paying additional fed and state taxes. This 401k is a rollover and we are no longer with the company to get a loan. Are we correct that we would not have to pay the penility on the $20k for the education expenses? Is the documentation we need just receipts?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2008, 08:46 PM

Sorry, but you have misread the law. Withdrawals prior to age 59 1/2 are only allowed under a limited set of circumstances. One of those circumstances is to pay for education. However, while that reason allows you to withdraw penalties still apply.

In addition, the plan will withhold 20% against your tax liability.

The only way that you would eliminate owing taxes on the withdrawal is if your business has a $20K loss over and above any other income. You would still have to pay the 10% penality.

This site may help you understand.
    401khelpcenter.com - Hardship Withdrawals Give Access to Your 401k Savings, But at a Cost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401 withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband passed away in June of last year. He had a 401 and I am beneficiary. I need this money to pay funeral expenses and tuition. I am 47 years old and have been in school for the last 1 1/2 years. I'm not working and I am in need of this money now. What's the best way of going about this.

401 k withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I am 60 yrs old disabled on social security disablity of 1100.00 before my medical deduction, I would like to close out my 401k and pay off my house , I want to know if the 20 percent taxes they take out is mostlikly all I will pay to the federal government and 10 percent to state of calif, I can...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401 withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to leave my job and I want to close out my 401 and use it in helping me start a small businness. I have about 107.000 in there now how much can I expect to receive after they tax it

IRA Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I would like to put a down payment on a house using my IRA account. I am a first time buyer, but my husband is not. Is there a way to avoid the 10% penalty? Also, should we have the taxes withdrawn now or wait until tax time? Thanks.

View more questions Search