Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvvy175 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Can I get foster care over my niece who is already 18?
    My niece is 18 and in foster care. I am trying to get her 8 month old daughter. But was wondering if I myself who is 18 can get foster care of my niece who is 18.

Is this possible?
    If this is possible how do I do it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 05:15 PM

What country is this in, in the US, almost all states end at 18, even if in school, I have taken 18 year olds before since they were kicked out of the system at 18.

Now her daughter you may get custody or, if the niece is willing to sign it over
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 06:06 PM

I agree with Fr_Chuck, I never had a foster child after the age of 18. Once they were of age the system drops them. They could have continued to live with me voluntarily and maybe that is an option for you too.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 10:29 AM

Actually it depends on what state you are in because in NY a child can remain in foster care until the age of 21 however he/she can leave the system at the age of 18. Many people stay in the system because they can get further assistance that can help them pay for housing, college,etc. However if they leave the system at 18 they can get a discharge grant. Before a person can even leave the system it's a process.

If you want to get your niece you must show that you are capable and can support the child fiancally. You can try to get custody or get kinship through the foster care system. You will have to go through the same process as anyone else looking to become a foster parent and it includes a home visit, background check,etc. You might not have to do the classes since it kinship and you will get money to help support the child. You and your sister need to talk with the caseworker. Good Luck!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I agree with Fr_Chuck, I never had a foster child after the age of 18. Once they were of age the system drops them. They could have continued to live with me voluntarily and maybe that is an option for you too.

Same in NYS - they age out at 18. If the foster parent wants the child to stay and that is the child's choice, the child can but there is no guarantee benefits/subsidies will continue. It's by application. There are special circumstances - such as physical or mental conditions - under which foster care payments can and do continue. The child does not receive the flat amount given when he/she leaves the foster care system until he/she actually leaves - it is not related to the child's age in any way.

The NY Times had an article referring to children "aging out" at age 18. It specificially refers to problem children who at one time could age out at 16 but now cannot until age 18 and makes reference to all children.

.http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A9649C8B63.

In many States - including NY - you cannot be a foster parent if you are under age 18. http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/fos...quirements.asp

I find this to be the law in every other State I checked.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Same in NYS - they age out at 18. If the foster parent wants the child to stay and that is the child's choice, the child can but there is no guarantee benefits/subsidies will continue. It's by application. There are special circumstances - such as physical or mental conditions - under which foster care payments can and do continue. The child does not receive the flat amount given when he/she leaves the foster care system until he/she actually leaves - it is not related to the child's age in any way.

The NY Times had an article referring to children "aging out" at age 18. It specificially refers to problem children who at one time could age out at 16 but now cannot until age 18 and makes reference to all children.

.http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A9649C8B63.
    Actually the article you posting is old and is dated in 2002.

Here are updated facts about foster care in ny. If you find this to be unhelpful you can always hear it from the source directly by calling 311 and request to be connected to ACS department and ask them too.

http://www.youthcomm.org/FCYU-Featur...007-01-08b.htm

http://www.childrensaidsociety.org/a...utoffostercare

Also, since you work in the legal field it shouldn't be hard to cross reference.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    Actually the article you posting is old and is dated in 2002.

Here are updated facts about foster care in ny. If you find this to be unhelpful you can always hear it from the source directly by calling 311 and request to be connected to ACS department and ask them too.

FCYU-Feature Story

Aging Out of Foster Care | The Children's Aid Society

Your quote verifies my statement.

First, the law hasn't changed in that aspect since 2002 - so the age of the site means nothing. Second, the site you posted verifies what I said: "But many choose to leave when they are legally eligible, between the ages 18 and 21." They can age out at 18; whether they stay is up to them.

I don't have to call. My sister is a Social Worker and has posted here in the past. I called her and asked - she returned the call.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I gain temporary custody or foster care of my great niece? [ 3 Answers ]

:eek:My niece has been in foster care for several years and is now 18. She isn't beig allowed to leave her foster care until she is 19. She has a daughter who is only 8 months old and she wants me to adopt, get fose care of or temporary custody of her daughter until she is able to get her self...

Get relative out of foster care [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse sister had a baby that test positive for drugs. The department of family and children service call us from the hospital to see if we could take the baby. We said yes so they sent someone to our home to drug screen us which we were aware of. Well every one pass except my spouse so the...

An Aunt's rights to see niece in foster care [ 1 Answers ]

My niece has been in the custody of DSS for more than 2 years. She is in foster care right now. I keep calling her social worker to see about seeing her and talking to her but she tells me that this case is none of my business. This is in North Carolina. I really need to know what I can do.

View more questions Search