Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    surewill62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 10:33 AM
    How and where do I respond to a summons.
    I have not been able to pay my mortgage due to a major slow down in my business. I have received a summons from the courts stating a lawsuit has been filed against me seeking to foreclose and that I have 20 days to respond in writing. I guess the courts and the Plaintiff wants to know what my intensions are. I'm also unsure as to where I should respond to the courts, do I have to state my intensions in writing an take it to the courthouse and file the response with the clerk of court? Thanks for any comments that may be able to help me.
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 8, 2008, 10:49 AM

As with most people you probably ignored all the letters and phone calls. The Bank has now hired a lawyer an sent you a summons and if you do not answer it in 20 days they will obtain a deault judgement against you. You need to obtain some legal help , even if it is to answer the summons as you own attorney, they call it Pro se. The court will recognize this as your answer, all you do is deny everything on the summons, as there probably are several counts. The process slows down and lawyers send documents back and forth, asking for admissions, documents and interrogories, etc. In some states this take two years and in that time maybe you can work out a settlement. Educate yourself about being a Pro Se attorney or seek someone who has and they can help you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2008, 11:12 AM

Note: OhSoLow has been permently banned for varioius reasons. All his posts have been removed. Please ignore any comments he has left until they are also removed.

Foreclosures work differently in different areas. A foreclosure action is not the same as a standard lawsuit over debt for a variety of reasons. In fact, it most areas its closer to an eviction than suit over debt.

If you don't answer the summons (and you need to respond to the court that issued the summons), the court will order the foreclosure to proceed. Generally the next step is to post a notice of auction at which time the property will be sold. Once the foreclosure is finalized and the property changed hands, you will be given some time to move out.

You can forestall the foreclosure right up to the start of the auction by paying the arrears or negotiating a settlement.

You can check with the court clerk to find out what format your answer has to take. Again this will differ depending on the location.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilcathy67 View Post
    As with most people you probably ignored all the letters and phone calls. The Bank has now hired a lawyer an sent you a summons and if you do not answer it in 20 days they wil obtain a deault judgement against you. You need to obtain some legal help , even if it is to answer the summons as you own attorney, they call it Pro se. The court will recognize this as your answer, all you do is deny everything on the summons, as there probably are several counts. The process slows down and lawyers send documents back and forth, asking for admissions, documents and interrogories, etc. In some states this take two years and in that time maybe you can work out a settlement. Educate yourself about being a Pro Se attorney or seek someone who has and they can help you.

When you answer, please state which State you are addressing. This is not the case in my area and I don't know where the OP is.

The answer is not always due in 20 days; in some cases you should also file a counterclaim. Foreclosures and Judgments are not the same thing - there is a very long road with a lot of twists and turns before a Judgment is granted on mortgage arrearages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you respond to a summons? [ 5 Answers ]

I just received a summons(my first one ever) in the mail last Friday filed in county court from a law firm. Capital One is the original creditor. I do not know how to respond to the summons. I do not really want to get an attorney involved. I was wondering what steps I take and I was wondering if...

Any Ideas on how to Respond to Summons? [ 6 Answers ]

Greetings to all in Debtland, I am confused as to how to respond to creditors/collection agencies/lawyers - I feel like they are closing in on me. I have 2 weeks to respond to a summons from a lawyer representing Discover Card. I haven't responded yet because I've been doing research to find...

How to respond to summons? [ 8 Answers ]

This morning a received a sommons: "A lawsuit has been filed against you...by LVNV Funding LLC, Assignee of GE Capital, Plaintiff...you must respond...stating defense in writing within 20 days...or a Default Judgement may be entered against you...If you serve a Notice of Appearance on the...

How do I respond to a Summons [ 1 Answers ]

I received a Summons from CC of State of Oregon about a past due amount that I could not pay. Credit card debt. I lost my home back in the early 2003 when I became ill with SLE. I have not been able to work full time and don't make enough to keep up with what I have. I cannot afford medical or...

View more questions Search