Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cfuller3 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 10:09 AM
    MTD mower, weak spark
    MTD walk behind with Honda. Stopped to move something out of way and it wouldn't start. I checked the normal, fuel, spark, and only thing I noticed was spark started strong and then died down low. I checked using other plugs and verified the spark starts real strong then drops back. I'm using a half inch drill motor to turn it over while trouble shooting. I don't see a normal electronic ignition, no points or condenser. Is the coil pack the complete ignition source except for the flywheel magnets? What determines spark strength? Any suggestions?
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 8, 2008, 10:21 AM

Lawn Mowers use a magneto, not a coil or points like a car. It needs to be replaced. Call your lawn mover repair place and see if they stock them. Easily changed if you remove red cover and fuel tank. Honda Movers are real work horses and I feel this would be unusual, but anything can go wrong and this would be a cheap fix.

Oct 8, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilcathy67 View Post
    Lawn Mowers use a magneto, not a coil or points like a car. It needs to be replaced. Call your lawn mover repair place and see if they stock them. Easily changed if you remove red cover and fuel tank. Honda Movers are real work horses and I feel this would be unusual, but anything can go wrong and this would be a cheap fix.
    I understand the magneto. I've worked on antique tractor and Hit & Miss engines for years but I don't see anything other than the coil. The only other wire I see is the "kill" wire connected to the coil. Am I missing something or is the "coil" all of it. I'd expect to at least see another module somewhere. Maybe it's gotten that simple. Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 04:32 PM

Call it a coil. Call it a magneto. Doesn't matter. The shop will know what your talking about.

Oct 8, 2008, 04:44 PM

All right... thanks... appreciate it. I was leaning there but had myself stumped with my own questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn boy mower will not start -no spark [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6.5 hpwr 2-stroke Lawnboy about 6 years old that is getting fuel but will not fire. When grounding the spark plug to the engine after removal and cranking, I get nothing. How do you test the electronic ignition to determine if it is the problem? Thanks <moved>

17 HP enginge has weak spark plug fire [ 3 Answers ]

Does the B@S 17.0 HP engine have a condenser and pts or the electronic ingnition system bought the mower used with no manual. Spark plug has very weak fire. Any thoughts. Thanks

My dad said my coil from civic 93 is weak because seen yellow spark, replace? [ 2 Answers ]

My dad said my coil from disturbator is very weak, it sparking yellow when I start cranking we did test it all seems so normal but about 20,000 ohm testing the coil positive and negative is kind of out of range from 12,000 to 20,000 ohms, should I replace it? Or is there any way I can repair it? We...

94 Civic - No start, weak spark, belt noise. [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 94 Civic LX 1.5L 16V with about 150k miles. I let it sit in my driveway while I was out of town for almost 3 weeks. I came back to start and no luck. It just cranks and cranks with the belts making a lot of squeal. I smell gas at the tail pipe, and loosened the bolt on the outlet side of...

Weak spark [ 3 Answers ]

Hi al again Had some trobble with my fuel p ump but sorted that out but now the car still won't start as there is a "week" spark from the leads. I got a second hand dizzy and replaced the cap and rotor. Also replaced plugs to no effect. Can anyone shed anylight on this? Kash

View more questions Search